Anyone ride sportives ?

widowmaker

Gold Trader
Roberts Fan
Feedback
View
Looking for some advice on taking part in sportives.

In a moment of madness I have entered the Wiggle New Forest 101 Sportive and raise money for Macmillan Cancer Charity. I have ridden the Oxford to Cambridge 89 miler on a mountain bike with semi-slick tyres so the distance should be ok (that was 5 years ago though :? )

Has anyone done this route in the 5 odd years it has been going, is the route challenging. I am planning on using my 1985 Raleigh Clubman which is as it left the factory bar some new tyres.

I cant see on the webpage if there is a time limit

Am I mad ? :D

I do the occasional one. I wouldn't worry about the bike - as long as it's mechanically sound there's no reason why it won't go 100 miles. I do up to 60-110 miles a week on mine and I've only had to give it a full service once since Christmas.

I would probably:
-Clean out and re-grease wheel bearings, bottom bracket and headset;
-I'm not usually one to dump old components unnecessarily, but a new sealed bottom bracket is a lot less bother than the old cup-and-cone jobs;
-Check wheels are running true;
-New brake blocks;
-New cables if they're old, for peace of mind;
-New chain;
-Ensure everything is well lubed;
-Check tyres and tubes are in good condition.

Then it's basically a new bike bar the visual war wounds from years of use and there's no reason why you can't ride it like any other brand new bike.

Thanks for that, ill make sure I give the bike a thorough service before.

I quite like the thought of riding alongside people with Carbon Fibre dream bikes in my old Raleigh :cool:

I ride them all the time on the Vitus 979 .. She is a great travelling companion.. Light fast and comfortable

I rode from Loughrea to Ballina on Saturday last 122 miles .. My advice is just do the maintenance stuff mentioned above and carry
2 spare tubes/ 1 tubular
Tyre levers
Mini Pump
Phone
A few quid
Fig Rolls
Vanilla Fudge
Turkish Delight
Light Rainproof Jacket and perhaps overshoes

Drink sips of water every 15-20 mins to prevent dehyration. An odd fig roll keeps the sugars up.

I usually sneak off perhaps 15 mins early as this avoids the mass start mayhem. Some idiots ride like its a race and will end up in a spill very handy. By the time others catch up the group will be well split and you will find your own comfortable pace.

Dont go like a V2 at the start - and dont ride outside your limits - you will suffer really bad tword the finish.. Just pace youself, enjoy and keep a bit in the tank for the last 15 miles.

Most of all - Enjoy yourself ..

Ian Raleigh":jva415pz said:
Watch other riders! They may be totally shite bike riders who have no road sense at all and will cause crash's!!

Going by my experience - and that of many other people - MAY should be altered to WILL.

Quite honestly, I don't know how these sportives manage to keep going. They should be BANNED!

OH, BTW, despite what people may say and think - IT IS NOT A RACE.

Old Ned":1epvrw0y said:
Ian Raleigh":1epvrw0y said:
Watch other riders! They may be totally shite bike riders who have no road sense at all and will cause crash's!!

Going by my experience - and that of many other people - MAY should be altered to WILL.

Quite honestly, I don't know how these sportives manage to keep going. They should be BANNED!

OH, BTW, despite what people may say and think - IT IS NOT A RACE.

I shall keep my eye on them, and I WONT be racing, I ride charity rides and sportives as they are (normally) well marshalled and if something happens to me I hope someone will notice :D

Latest posts

Back