Dave Lloyd 753 ???

NeilM":1wq6tbyc said:
hink when it comes to custom frame builders, there are very few absolutes.

Exactly. Thats why I put in my first post this morning/afternoon that I'm not going to treat it either way. Its going to stay as a custom one off frame... :cool:

It's going to be blooming nice either way, any ideas for the build?

Full mavic would be pretty special.

nevadasmith":3stnql23 said:
It's going to be blooming nice either way, any ideas for the build?

Full mavic would be pretty special.

Had a couple of ideas but can't quite make a decision.

Was either thinking Campag or XT II. If I had endless cash I would go with Campag, but I don't so it might be XT. Can't go wrong with it and it will look cool either way...

Giom6":4qh7yj7t said:
NeilM":4qh7yj7t said:
painter09":4qh7yj7t said:
the cats out of the bag so to speak :D

BOOM BOOM!

What makes you think it's not a CATS?

Not saying that it is, as we discussed elsewhere custom bike builders build custom bikes, but just because it is 1990 does not necessarily mean it's not a very early CATS, as we know Dave was already using 753.

Whatever, nice to have another Lloyd within the RB fold.

I was told by a member here that CATS didn't get produced till 92. I think Carl has proved thats not true, but it doesn't matter either way really. Its a custom built 753 fillet brazed frame and thats what counts :D

The trouble is until the names came to the fore in the press, for all the discussed reasons, It was always overlooked, in favour of hyped foreign product, by the consumer and to a degree by the press.

Im confident if Chas never raced to the Malverns at the 11th hour with a frame in hand, and then come up with a reason for that name to the press on the spot and off the cuff, None of this would have even been noted at all, (FACT).

With all that said, it should be less about the name anyway, and more about the frame, as Gio has said.
Given the best bike available at the time was called the Cats, and it seems to have 753, the top tubeset from Reynolds at the time...etc etc etc.

But a custom bike is built for its rider, the rider would have had a tubing preference and budget, the builder would have assessed his weight, riding style, type of use, etc, then factor in, tubing availability, delivery times, business cashflow etc, all these are factors that would have been taken into consideration anyway.

sinnerman":30n1m0d9 said:
It was always overlooked, in favour of hyped foreign product, by the consumer
From the price that these bikes / frames are regularly selling for, I think this is still the case....

.... and climbs down off his hobby horse.

NeilM":11tiblc6 said:
sinnerman":11tiblc6 said:
It was always overlooked, in favour of hyped foreign product, by the consumer
From the price that these bikes / frames are regularly selling for, I think this is still the case....

.... and climbs down off his hobby horse.

Agreed, but thankfully they are at least being saved from extinction.

I mean come on, why would you buy a semi mass produced (I dunno)(don't shoot me for the example) Fat Chance, with a mediocre tubeset, when for a fraction of the cost you could have a handbuilt fillet brazed British Frame with a top of the range tubeset.

:facepalm:

I realise Ill get slated for that, but marketing, and big budget advertising as always played a massive part.

Its a little like Comparing a Yeti Fro of the same year as a Roberts DB, similar price points once the Yeti landed here in the UK, one rides like a sledge hammer and one rides like the wind. the weight difference alone speaks Volumes, and yet the Yeti was and still is coveted by so many more, and not because they have ridden either of them, but because the hype tells them one has to be the better bike.... :facepalm:

sinnerman":2afp0wg5 said:
I mean come on, why would you buy a semi mass produced (I dunno)(don't shoot me for the example) Fat Chance, with a mediocre tubeset, when for a fraction of the cost you could have a handbuilt fillet brazed British Frame with a top of the range tubeset.

:facepalm:

I realise Ill get slated for that, but marketing, and big budget advertising as always played a massive part.

Its a little like Comparing a Yeti Fro of the same year as a Roberts DB, similar price points once the Yeti landed here in the UK, one rides like a sledge hammer and one rides like the wind. the weight difference alone speaks Volumes, and yet the Yeti was and still is coveted by so many more, and not because they have ridden either of them, but because the hype tells them one has to be the better bike.... :facepalm:

I couldn't agree more Carl.

A member recently struggled to sell an immaculate DB frame with 753 forks for a VERY good price. I made comment on his thread that had it been an overpriced American production bike, it would have sold within minutes of being listed.

Ah well, all the more for us Super Nerds I guess.

NeilM":2pzsmokw said:
painter09":2pzsmokw said:

BOOM BOOM!

Not saying that it is, as we discussed elsewhere custom bike builders build custom bikes, but just because it is 1990 does not necessarily mean it's not a very early CATS, as we know Dave was already using 753.

i was refaring to the new ownership not the possibility as to the frames original badging. im still totaly stumped as to who dave lloyd is :roll: :LOL:

painter09":aht1ui1a said:
NeilM":aht1ui1a said:
painter09":aht1ui1a said:

BOOM BOOM!

i was refaring to the new ownership not the possibility as to the frames original badging. im still totaly stumped as to who dave lloyd is :roll: :LOL:

Sorry painter, my comments were in two parts, the first at you for you Basil Brush punch line and the other part at Gio.

C'mon, we've told you about Dave:

Top road and track rider who retired from pro racing and set up a frame shop of great renown, then went and did something else (I don't know what) and who is now a professional cycle coach.

Carl can tell you more.

Back