another for the frame detectives

daugs

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
so ebay searches based on generic terms for local bikes are very dangerous and after a couple of quid for petrol and £1.04 I have ended up with this, an aluminium frame that also came with LX chainset, forks, BB etc. No idea what it is. Advertised as "aluminium mountain bike frame".

So, frame has oversize downtube, oval chainstays, no serial number under BB but does have on rear dropout, no decals except some branded freebies (from MBUK or similar) would need 34.9 top pull front mech, 29.8-30 ish seat pin, forks were 1 1/8 but not sure original, chainset looked like had been fitted for a while and with BB possibly original, anyway 68mm shell, LX m560 (170 length) and UN71 bottom bracket, discussions with owner and LX chainset suggests 1993-1994 era ?? looks part of mass produced range but thought I'd check before doing anything rash.........

9352844836_c59edd95f1_z.jpg
9352809426_9d8a4b1bbe_z.jpg

9350035079_7461f0e4cd_z.jpg
9352821704_e509f2ff3b_z.jpg

9350052627_bff26da86f_z.jpg
9352827154_09692186aa_z.jpg

9352838438_85e4f60c1f_z.jpg

any ideas

Dropout shape screams generic taiwanese frame to me, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Not too sure about that mech hanger either, looks like it is not original. Check the right-hand dropout for filing marks where a fixed mech hanger would be.

Looks like a good basis for a really fast pub bike.

Raging_Bulls":2zlvlmm2 said:
Not too sure about that mech hanger either, looks like it is not original. Check the right-hand dropout for filing marks where a fixed mech hanger would be.

yes, should have taken off and investigated, hanger is marked "Everest"; doesn't necessarily look like a previous hanger has been removed comparing to other hanger, but filed slightly to allow hanger to fit, so difficult to tell.

9351670247_ae3758d5f1_z.jpg
9351676781_06ec8e1223_z.jpg

That dropout on the drive side has been modified. It's tidy, but look how uneven the radius Simon this curves.

The eyelet holes are uneven, an inconsistent distance from the edge of the dropout so I wouldn't be surprised if they were drilled and tapped by a previous owner.

This takes me back 4 years or more.

One of my first posts was to determine if i had an aluminium marin of a top-end calibre, as the decals were 'team issue' and 'aluminium series'. of course team bikes were steel and, apart from some marin decals, no evidence towards it being a marin. so, the search and the bike were scrapped.

The rear mech hanger was exactly the same as your everest one. apart from it being similar to alpinestars al-mega hangers it didn't seem to have a home traceable. until may/june this year when i saw a bike frame with the same decals, hanger and everything else i remember about the frame it had..this one had SHOGUN decals! At last i know what i was. As for yours it could be a shogun or many other things as these frames were generic and put out to which ever company wanted to put their brand on them.

Watch for head tube cracks, apart from that, that's a perfectly good project of some sort. whatever it is.

unresolved but made into a single speed

thought I'd post a quick pic of what this ended up as having collected bits together, although will need to work out what to do with my Pacific Mountain Expert viewtopic.php?f=1&t=253306= as robbed the single speed bits, with the wheels being spare off the Mrs' Trek from when she commuted on it and now unused, the rest of the bits including the frame probably £30 all in so not a bad "hack" even if I say so myself

11585070723_413685b608_z.jpg

Back