The problem with....

I noted the fact he was wearing Lycra more to highlight the fact he was clearly not your average "the tour is on I better get out" type that will be out in force for the next few weeks - clearly if he could afford a decent road bike and lycra he could afford a helmet - just maybe a small insight on the mentality of the guy......

I have no problems giving anybody, mothers with prams, horses, kids or cyclists room when overtaking

What you all are basically saying is that on a 12 -15 foot wide road I should be hitting the white lines on the offside when I'm overtaking any cyclist

Sorry thats plainly rediculous

I had given him more than 5 feet and was closing quite quickly as you do (car at 25 bike at about 15-18 maybe) and he chose to pull out into the safety zone I had left him with no notice of intent and put himself into a life threatening position. I can only surmise that he's clearly either a Darwin Award nominee or because as a roadie he clearly has the right to do so.

Imagine if I as a driver did that to someone who was overtaking me becaise I didnt want them to and thought that it was a clever thing to do - who would be at fault there?

I get where you are coming from Boxxer I really do, the reality of these situations though is that the overtaking party is the one that almost always carries the can of responsibility if something should go wrong. That may not be the answer you wanted to hear but that is the reality of how the road traffic act is applied, as such always use the other lane when overtaking to avoid potential conflict mate.

or ride behind him at his speed until you can overtake safely, giving him the safe room he needs....
i hate the thought of a car overtaking me on a right hand bend, and going head on into a car coming the other way. debris flying around from an 80 mph (40 +40) collision is not what i want to be riding into!!

my mum taught me when I was a teenager that when overtaking a cyclist, allow enough room for them to fall off next to you, without squashing their head. I have taken this with me throughout my driving career. I annoy other drivers by not overtaking until I can cross the white line, and giving myself enough stopping distance so if they fall off in front of me, I won't squash them. I demand space when I cycle, by riding in the middle of the lane, but on the odd occasion I don't, I still get punishment passes, so I'd rather give myself the room

One of the few advantages of being a large powerlifting gent is that other road users are almost comical in their effort to give me a wide berth as the overtake. Just a shame it's not warm enough all year round to cycle in a muscle vest.

Back