Dave Lloyd 753 ???

Sorry, smug ' I live close to Argos' post.

Sorry, smug ' I know a trusted bloke who lives close to Argos, for when I get me DOGS that's going to get the full repaint treatment'

ringo":24ssrszw said:
Sorry, smug ' I know a trusted bloke who lives close to Argos, for when I get me DOGS that's going to get the full repaint treatment'

Really? Who's that then. :roll:

How is this coming alone, and thoughts, progress etc...?

I suppose I better spill the beans now then :)

I was definitely the early worm with this one and as soon as I heard that it was to small for Painter I jumped on it like a shot. Luckily he did the gentlemanly thing and sold it to me :D :D

As this bike deserves to be bought up to its former if not better glory, I intend to send it to Argos where a full refurb awaits.

I'm not going to let on at this point what the idea is so you'll just have to guess :LOL:

This frame doesn't seem to fit into the better known Dave Lloyd models of the CATS WISHKAS or BEES NEES but that just makes it extra special for me. I do remember reading about these two names and the DOGS BOLX and the DONKIS NOB back in the day and it was a very clever piece of marketing because it gave Dave, Dave and Chas some much needed exposure and it gave them a personality that was sadly missing before in the British bike scene. It was probably the first time I noticed them so it definitely worked!

I'd like to look at the bigger picture for this one and not concentrate on what model it is or isn't because it was probably tailored to the first owner and I'll use that to drive this build to showcase the uniqueness and quality of Dave's frames. I have just got scans from Neil from the 94 Lloyds catalogue and its a great read. You don't see brochures like that anymore thats for sure. I love its innocence, I love the stories of his riding days and I love the thinking behind his frame building. I love it all. I want to put some of that love and history back into this frame and it become a true homage to Dave and the other British bike builders.

I'll start a new thread once there is some progress on the bike, but if anybody has any images or info please put it on this thread as it will help me with the build :D

Giom6":2uj1v3yf said:
I suppose I better spill the beans now then :)

I was definitely the early worm with this one and as soon as I heard that it was to small for Painter I jumped on it like a shot. Luckily he did the gentlemanly thing and sold it to me :D :D

As this bike deserves to be bought up to its former if not better glory, I intend to send it to Argos where a full refurb awaits.

I'm not going to let on at this point what the idea is so you'll just have to guess :LOL:

This frame doesn't seem to fit into the better known Dave Lloyd models of the CATS WISHKAS or BEES NEES but that just makes it extra special for me. I do remember reading about these two names and the DOGS BOLX and the DONKIS NOB back in the day and it was a very clever piece of marketing because it gave Dave, Dave and Chas some much needed exposure and it gave them a personality that was sadly missing before in the British bike scene. It was probably the first time I noticed them so it definitely worked!

I'd like to look at the bigger picture for this one and not concentrate on what model it is or isn't because it was probably tailored to the first owner and I'll use that to drive this build to showcase the uniqueness and quality of Dave's frames. I have just got scans from Neil from the 94 Lloyds catalogue and its a great read. You don't see brochures like that anymore thats for sure. I love its innocence, I love the stories of his riding days and I love the thinking behind his frame building. I love it all. I want to put some of that love and history back into this frame and it become a true homage to Dave and the other British bike builders.

I'll start a new thread once there is some progress on the bike, but if anybody has any images or info please put it on this thread as it will help me with the build :D

Im buzzing for you mate, and am looking forward to this, BIGTIME.

Appreciate your comments ref the name thing too and not wanting to get into it. Sadly I have tried (badly perhaps) to touch on the history and reasons for things based on experience, And I wouldn't be at all surprised if its been said it cant possibly be this or that.

A sad fact but true, unless the unfamiliar see a review, an advert, a bicycle buyers guide with the name in it, it cant possibly have been.

Its quite frustrating really. But a fact none the less.

Anyway I was given this originally by Dave and have posted it here and on a few other forums for some roadie friends, It does list the Concept 90 bikes and the fresh Beezneez and surprisingly the Cats Whiskas too, with that said it was for advertising placement for Christmas 90 for the 91 model year I believe, and also clearly shows the use of rear wishbone seatstays on the road bike and and the clear direction that was being taken with the M.T.B frames too, and the widespread use of internal cable routing at the time.

I hope this is of sum help.

Attachments

• cw_12_12_92.jpg
    cw_12_12_92.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 218
Thats brilliant, thanks mate. That clears a few dates up in my head and hopefully for some others too.

If you have anything that would be cool :cool: I've taken stuff off the British Steel thread too as there is loads of reference there.

Frame and forks are all boxed up and are being picked up tomorrow :cool:

I d have a fair bit, did you see him at the mega, hes a fit old bugger I can tell you.

Im unsure of what I have posted on the British steel thread already, I shall have to have another look.

I might have posted this clipping, im unsure if its also the same terry from Reynolds that co-organised the mega or not, im probably mistaken... :oops: Bloody hard race regardless... :cry:

Attachments

• Dave%20Lloyd%20753%20Cert%20Mar%2089.jpg
    Dave%20Lloyd%20753%20Cert%20Mar%2089.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 201
Top work mate :D Keep it coming!

That one wasn't on the thread so it s a great addition.

Lets hope I can do this frame the justice it deserves...

Back