old style shimano 105 freehub (push on)

Percybigun

Old School Hero
i have the original shimano 105 hubs on my 1987 Raleigh Centenary, i'd like to replace the 6-speed cassette with a new one (either 6 or 7 speed), with similar ratios to the original (13-24 IIRC).

the gears are indexed so if i get a 6 speed it needs to be compatible, if i fit a 7 speed i'll switch the lever to friction.

the rear hub is definetely a push-on freehub (not a screw-on freewheel).

i tried to fit a new (i.e. modern) shimano 7-speed cassette but the notches do not line up with those on the freehub.

where can i get a 6 or 7 speed cassette that will fit, it does not have to be shimano. if anyone has got one for sale that they know will fit (either new or in excellent condition) please PM me.

or am i better off getting the freehub body swapped for a newer type, so that in future i can use normal push-on fitment cassettes?

file the big tab on the cassette so its the same size as the other tabs. It should then fit. You may want to split the cassette by removing the retaining pins for better access.
Have you thought about how you will fit the smallest cog. On your 6 speed cassteet, the bottom cog is threaded. I'm assuming the small cog on the 7 speed is splined and wants an internal lockring?

Back