The problem with....

boxxer

MacRetro Rider
Thread will have been done to death a million times before but what would you think to this

Driving through the local town, coming out towards a well known trail centre there is a long straight in a 30, a slight right to national speed limit straight

I'm in my car approaching this piece of road I know well as I drive it every day

The pavement is wide and the drains are reasonable, there is little other iron work at the side of the road

I'm in my car, its 5.10 and although rush hour everywhere else it kinda doesn't apply here but I'm trying to get home to spend time with my munchkin before she goes to bed

I approach the straight and there's a road cyclist, full Lycra, no helmet sitting about a foot out from the kerb, I'm doing about 25 and well aware he's there, the other lane is clear and I'm about 100 yards behind him

At about 20 yards from me, he decides to pull out from the foot from the kerb to around 4 feet from the kerb in one move with no warning / reason / signal.

I stand on the brakes, turn sharply into the thankfully clear opposite lane and take full evasive action, as I swing back in he's gesticulating as if this was my fault and I'm in the wrong.

I didn't react and drove on but had there been anything oncoming or had I been a bus he may not be here to tell the tale...

As a cyclist and motorist what is your thoughs on this, stupidity or otherwise!

why aren't you in the other lane to pass him? I always do this, so them wobbling makes no difference. He claimed the room he felt he needed. He was probably just as aware nothing was oncoming, so no danger in forcing you over

Rule 163 of the Highway Code states to give "vulnerable road users as much space as you would if overtaking a car" which I understand to basically mean "overtake using the oncoming lane", so if applied in the scenario you describe even with a 3ft 'wobble' by the cyclist there is an adequate safety gap to avoid such conflict. Of course, the cyclist you encountered could just be a complete ar5e and his mode of transport is thereby irrelevant. Only he will ever truly know why he moved across in the way he did.

50/50. He was riding unpredictably, but if you'd given the recommended minimum 5 feet overtaking clearance it wouldn't have mattered.

I'd have flicked him the bird, chalked it up to experience, and forgotten about it 10 seconds later.

I live in the sticks and sometimes take the back roads home if it's a nice sunny day and I'm not in a hurry; consequently I encounter quite a few horse owner/riders...

...pass wide and slow is the accepted mantra but I am ofen appalled at the careless driving I witness in these circumstances! :x

i'm with stevo on this, my hobbies are fast fords and bikes, and my mrs is a horse type. i had to witness her being hit from behind on her horse at 60 (skid tests by police)

i use common sence like you wouldn't believe whilst using lanes.
i was out last night on a country lane and a gold volvo xc went past me on a right hand bend. and had the ordassity to beep me!!
but i have driven past some ass hole cyclists too! :shock:

I wouldn't have flipped him the bird. Could be an officer.

Not judging anyone here, but I feel you have to be ready to give the whole lane.

I don't always, but if there is a clear lane there is no reason not to.

Cyclists are supposed to keep to the left to allow overtaking.

Some contradictory advice out there I feel.

Next time just run him over. That way you don't have to worry about him gesticulating or being an officer.

:twisted:

Just forget about it, it's not your fault that he's a lycra-wearing idiot who can't ride a bike without training wheels.

Latest posts

Back