Peugeot 653 Athena (Fully Finished 19th Aug)

Re: Peugeot 653 Athena (bits starting to arrive 17th July pi

Well good news the frame arrived today, it really was like Christmas. The persons photos that I bought it off of via ebay did it no justice.

Its in such fantastic condition, it had a few tiny chips on the fork and frames but I manged to mix some paint up that is very damm close as to not really notice.

Also more bits of my groupset have turned up inculding a nos biopace chain set and bottom bracket.

Also had a white rolls sadle arrive and I've bought a pair of nos mavic open 4CD rims ...... Its all coming together :)

I'll get some pics up later tonight / morning.

Oh and my top turned up, its a tiny bit tight but will either give or I'll cycle into it :)

Re: Peugeot 653 Athena (Build Starts, new pics 23rd July)

Manged to get some time over at my Grandads to start putting the bike together, still waiting for a few bits to arrive and have to get it over to the local shop to have the BB fitted as I don't have the right tools. So at the moment this is just a "finger tight" bolt to see howevery thing looks.

I'm really really pleased so far:

The camera really shows up the touch up's but you can't tell really with your eyes, the 653 stickers on the forks have seen better days and are pealing so new ones are on the way.

Beautiful frame and colour scheme. I love the Shimano 600 groupset, looks really nice on the frame.

Well a few mores bits have started to turn up:

Original SIS rear outer gear cable

Pair of nos (shop display) Mavic open 4cd rims. I was going to go with 2cd but decided againest the hassle of tubs.

New unused 600 Ultegra Biopace chain set inculding the BB that I needed for it.

A bargin pair of pedals, again new and unused

A nice new white Rolls sadle, Plant X are doing these for £39.99 inc delivery at the moment

So its getting there can't wait to get riding it,

Re: Peugeot 653 Athena (Few more bits arrive 25th July)

Lovely, used to have a 653 Peugeot back in the day so great to see one in this condition.

It's going to look great mate. I was always into Raleighs more than Peugeot, but the bike you have was one to really test my loyalty back in the day. RBoTM contender when it's complete, definitely!!

Cheers guys for all the good response's.

Well its comimg together, Bottom Bracket in, Head set full fitted, Seat Post and Sadle on, gear cables run along with brake cables.

Can't go much further now until the wheels are made up which is why I haven't cut any of the cables yet.

Can't wait to see what this looks like finished.

Very nice...must be the season for it, as i'm building up my 'new' 653 Athena as we speak! Mine's a bit more of a homage to the 1989 catalogue, with a mixture of new Campag Athena/Veloce, black turbo saddle and pink Benotto handlebar tape. Like you, I really fancied one of these when it first came out! I've got a thing for pink!!

Looks live you've sorted yourself out with a road orientated 7 speed cassette (is it a cassette or is it a freewheel?) - I buy those cheap sunrace 7 and 8 speed cassettes and dissassemble them to make my own retro-tastic 12-13-14-15-16-17-18 'straight-up' gears. You're right, its getting tricky to get anything 7 speed that isn't mountain bike oriented.

Good luck

Back