Is Retro faster?

I rode laps of mayhem on a retrobike and a modern and the laps on the modern were quicker. This was despite the retroaps being daylight with fresh legs and the modern laps being night with tired legs.

If you truly feel vintage technology outperforms modern technology, then you're not making the bike go fast enough to matter.

If the rider is fit and confident it shouldnt really matter what bike it is.

And theres that 'technology' word - absolutely no use whatsoever if you are unfit.

I ride Retro cos I cant afford modern :(

Most modern bikes lack 'soul' anyway :D

But then again that's probably what we said about or retro rides back in the day :facepalm:

Not for me.
I ride way faster, both up and down hill, on my new 29er than I did on even my recently sold Vit T2.
The difference in speed up-hill is ridiculous!!

A modern bike with half decent forks and shock will be quicker on any decent off road then a pre 95 bike (my personal retro cut off) with the same rider. It's as simple as that.

makster":kdtix3rv said:
Not for me.
I ride way faster, both up and down hill, on my new 29er than I did on even my recently sold Vit T2.

thats 'cos the wheels are so ridiculously huuuge

a0951580ae250ad08064a9bc7d3d09e6.jpg

legrandefromage":3svc59cd said:
makster":3svc59cd said:
Not for me.

thats 'cos the wheels are so ridiculously huuuge

a0951580ae250ad08064a9bc7d3d09e6.jpg

They are indeed!!

Logic.Al":11ak61no said:
Is retro faster than modern? I rode my 456 yesterday to work for the first time in a while. My M-Trax feels much much quicker than the 456. It felt soft and ponderous compared to the stiff quick feel of the M-Trax. But the angles aren't far off each other so not sure it's down to that. And on road I tend to lock out the forks too.

something like this?

1283256546234-n3nlrwcquc6v-950-75.jpg

1637.jpg

Well, they are both bicycles for a start. Both share the 'technology' of cables and an oily chain. One has bouncy forks and the other has a springy frame. I bet one has mahoosive tyres and 'tother does not.

More upright stance will feel slower, shorter rear stays will make a bike quicker regardless of age depending on materials. Stance (but not Lance) on the older bike is more the the roadie side of things if the stem is the same as the google bike pictured.

Who knows?

Lets all buy brand new Audis and turn up at classic car meets shouting loudly about how great it is compared to the bucket of old bits on display.

Its not really the point is it.

There are people who just enjoy cycling for what it is and no longer care what it is they ride (up to a point) and no longer read the type of magazine that says you are not a real rider unless you have XYZ under you.

Back