1991 Diamondback Axis (Finished Page 2)

Re: 1991 Diamondback Axis

I couldn't decide on wheels for this but in the end the M732/730 hubbed Mavic 231CD's seemed ideal only problem was the 130mm rear axle. I swapped the axle out for a 135mm one last night and all seems well.

The only quality tyres I have spare are a pair of blackwall conti explorers so they will be going on for the time bening.

Are you still looking for a front mech Chris? If so I'll check the specs on the XT/DX ones I have in my spares.

Neil":3jtdp2zq said:
iveto1983":3jtdp2zq said:
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Diamond Backs, they ride so well. It's a shame they seem under-rated nowadays.

Shhh, no it's not! I for one am quite happy for them to get little attention and not be that desirable, I've got designs on it keeping the prices down. That said, I've got five, I don't need any more.

I wouldn't mind them increasing in value now. I've got 5 too. ;)

Nice frame Chris, looking forward to the finished product. All my DBs are top pull, and bar 1 all 28.6, as are my spares. So no front mech for you :(

Thanks Will & Tim but I'm sorted now, Adrian has very kindly sold me a nice M735 for under a tenner :D

Just got to get my M735 rear mech back off Fluffychicken who stripped it down to get rid of some notchyness that had developed then I can finish it.

I fitted a silver Zoom stem though and I'm not happy with it so I found a black one in the shed and i'm going to try that.

chrisv40":2o787c0a said:
I couldn't decide on wheels for this but in the end the M732/730 hubbed Mavic 231CD's seemed ideal only problem was the 130mm rear axle. I swapped the axle out for a 135mm one last night and all seems well.

The only quality tyres I have spare are a pair of blackwall conti explorers so they will be going on for the time bening.

Looking forward to seeing some more pics.

I really enjoy my 91 Axis, it feels different than my 91 Apex, some of that will probably be the frame - the tubes are bigger diameter than the AVR frames. And the mid 90s TT-Lite frames feel different again. These early 90s models, though, feel thoroughly bomb-proof.

Pyro Tim":2o787c0a said:
Neil":2o787c0a said:
iveto1983":2o787c0a said:
I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Diamond Backs, they ride so well. It's a shame they seem under-rated nowadays.

Shhh, no it's not! I for one am quite happy for them to get little attention and not be that desirable, I've got designs on it keeping the prices down. That said, I've got five, I don't need any more.

I wouldn't mind them increasing in value now. I've got 5 too. ;)

Noooo! Let's keep the interest down, and the prices harsh - I may not want any more right now, but why burn your bridges!

Pyro Tim":2o787c0a said:
Nice frame Chris, looking forward to the finished product. All my DBs are top pull, and bar 1 all 28.6, as are my spares. So no front mech for you :(

Have to say, it was pure luck that I just so happened to have a NOS period XT front mech for mine - trickier, 'cos these early 90s DB OX frames have fatter tubes than the most of the other steel frames in the ranges. It was the rear mech I had to spend more time finding.

It's reasons like that, that have held me back completing my 92 Axis (also OX tubing and fatter tubes that AVR or TT-Lite frames). Whereas things are more straightforward with my 2nd 95 Apex - yet that, too, is in a state of partial completion.

chrisv40":2o787c0a said:
Thanks Will & Tim but I'm sorted now, Adrian has very kindly sold me a nice M735 for under a tenner :D

Just got to get my M735 rear mech back off Fluffychicken who stripped it down to get rid of some notchyness that had developed then I can finish it.

I fitted a silver Zoom stem though and I'm not happy with it so I found a black one in the shed and i'm going to try that.

I'm probably going back to a threaded headset and forks on mine - it's currently running aheadset and some P2s, that I've never been quite that happy with - so I'll either put on some plain black forks, with more of an appropriate A->C length, or I've got a spare pair of 91 Apex forks (red, with a black tiger stripe) that I may see how they look on, given plenty of bikes from that era went with a contrasting colour fork, even some models in the 91 DB range - so I may well go with a Zoom stem on mine - either that or a T-Bone.

Here's some pics, when I'd finished it last year, before I first got chance to ride it on a night road ride, and yes, the saddle did prove to be too low, after about 30 minutes, I had to stop and raise it a bit. Took the pics in a bit of a hurry, as light was fading. I was truly delighted when I bought the frame and it arrived - it was in exceptional condition:-

Attachments

• 28082012624_scaled.jpg
    28082012624_scaled.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 28082012627_scaled.jpg
    28082012627_scaled.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 1,406
  • 28082012628_scaled.jpg
    28082012628_scaled.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 1,405
  • 28082012629_scaled.jpg
    28082012629_scaled.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 1,406

Nearly finished now just waiting for a pair of ne Charge Splashbacks and some cable end crimps to arrive :D

Not sure on my choice of saddle but as its all I have spare at the moment it will have to do.

Splashbacks have arrived so I'll get them fitted tonight and take some more photos!

chrisv40":2a7i75rd said:
Splashbacks have arrived so I'll get them fitted tonight and take some more photos!

I'm jealous of your forks!

I'm going to try my spare pair of 91 Apex forks (red with a black splattered stripe) and see how they look. Having some bits of black on already and not being an improbable contrast, means I'm hoping I can live with it like that.

All finished and just back from its first ride :D

Everything worked perfectly and the bike is great to ride.

It will be getting a better test next weekend at the "Last of the summer wine ride" with the North Yorks boys!

I used one of those canti / bridge hangers on my 91 Apex (also sporting a Zoom stem) when I first fettled it. How've you found it? I replaced it at the time with a clamp-on stem hanger, but on reflection, I think the type you've used may look preferable.

But as I'm likely to go back to threaded headset and forks on my 91 Axis, I'm wondering whether to do as you have - either that, or use one of those snide force40 copies.

Back