Helmets Save Your Bonce

I use quads a few times a week, and I wear a helmet without fail, although it is a flip up and at low speed I have it up. Whipped out some of the internal padding too so I can hear clearly. I do get the piss taken a bit by the younger lads. I also rope up when I am working on a roof, I have been laughed at for that too. I can't understand people working fifty feet up on roofs without safety gear. All it takes is one loose tile.

I am not totally risk averse, but I want to spend the next thirty years hill walking and seeing to the wife, not laying in a vegetative state.

19 pages of polar opposite views and (almost)all dealing in extremes... :roll:

Let's face it, nobody needs a cycling helmet until that one pivotal moment when when it becomes the deciding difference between a couple of paracetamol and a new helmet or an air ambulance and skin grafts (at best?).

You can quote all the research/stat's you like, all funded by one pro/anti lobby group or another, but there is more to falling off a bike and landing on your head than rotational wotsit and brian(sic) damage...

...a correctly worn helmet projects maybe 3cm out from the sides of your skull/face, more at the front/rear, to ensure that in the kind of 'off' that most cyclists are likely to encounter the helmet hits the ground first. This is ostensibly to prevent the kind of abrasions that can be 'uncomfortable' at best to life threatening at worst.

You have nerves running up your neck and around your head that any competent martial artist experienced in certain schools will tell you are ideal for all sorts of effects from simple discomfort, through disablement by stunning, to instantaneous death.

You also have an optic nerve running up each temple that is very vulnerable to even the slightest impact, leading to simple dizziness and disorientation to instant and irreperable blindness!

Now, you could very easily cite the example of bare knuckle pugilists beating each other bloody to poo poo just that one last sentence alone, and you would be right, but then I could just as easily cite the case of a woman who lost the sight in one eye when she accidentally clashed heads with another commuter on the Tube; swings and roundabouts...

You just do not know what effect any given injury is going to have under what circumstances, until it happenes.

A collegue of mine lost a friend due to injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident a few years ago; he had a very big 'off' in an RTA but actually walked away 'unscathed' only to die in hospital three weeks later due to the mortal internal injuries he suffered because of the immense forces generated by the massive deceleration effect of the impact.

From personal experience I can concur with those who have said they have avoided injury from low hanging branches, hidden tree stumps, kerb edging, fly-posted signs at the side of the road (those ones they cable-tie to sign posts right about head height :x ), bus/lorry wing mirrors, you name it; any of which could have resulted in anything from ribald piss-taking (failing to unclip at traffic lights and hitting my head on the kerb! :oops: ) to life threatening injury (as GM will testify, a wing mirror to the back of the head can have far reaching consequences!).

...and just for the record, no, even now I don't always wear my helmet :facepalm:

We_are_Stevo":lm9wbpl1 said:
...and just for the record, no, even now I don't always wear my helmet :facepalm:
I respect your honesty, but it can lead to some risky knife usage in highland flyers case, which I for one do not condone. :LOL:

videojetman":287gyap3 said:
We_are_Stevo":287gyap3 said:
I respect your honesty, but it can lead to some risky knife usage in highland flyers case, which I for one do not condone. :LOL:

:LOL: Nah, I was very careful to not use any 'tasteless' references... ;)

PurpleFrog":2ndvwvtl said:
There is company that makes decent anti-rotation motorcycle helmets. They use a sliding membrane - it adds about 100Eu to the price.

6D.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y_u0LdCEfQ[/youtube]

Some kid who's old man used to ride push bikes wears them (ironically, some guy who was really good at painting helmets used to do custom jobs on all his lids, which voided any protection claims from the manufacturer).

0ff0f8_2fbcd769401bf65412ce864730587fc5.png_srz_925_636_75_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_png_srz

Oh, and on a side note, the co-founder/Vice President of Engineering at 6D started some little known push bike company called Mountain Cycle back in 91.

That actually looks pretty convincing. The problem is, it's fine for a bulky, heavy motorcycle helmet, not so good for a cycle helmet where in warm temperatures and with high exertion a person could be pumping out 500+ watts of heat energy and a litre or two of sweat every hour. I'm sure having your brain poached isn't much better than bumping it. :D

I can honestly say I have never suffered any (physical)discomfort due to wearing a correctly adjusted cycle helmet...

...and I now have four of them; my original Specialized Airforce II from BiTD, a modern Specialized Airforce 3 that (thanks to the fancy adjustable fit of todays helmets) I have given to SWMBO, my favourite Bell Slant (mainly because I was always a Bell fan in my motorcycling days), and a Specialized Max XL (specially designed for those of us with an abundance of grey matter with the correspondingly large box to keep it in! ;) ).

I really should get back into the habit of wearing one!

Good job Canadian humour differs from our own, I can just picture FMJ's selective quote with the word 'End' tacked in to it otherwise! :LOL:

helmets save your bounce ;yes they do simples
as for debate how about salvodelli in moto gp last yr or yr before
moter bike helmets have come a long way since 1980 ;when in a race
at assen i think unchinis or luccanelis helmet came off.
he got away with it;shit happens and when it does your in the lap of the gods.
got a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet;if your heads worth nowt why bother to
have one on ;)
as for me i know of 4 accidents this year on bikes;and 2 are here today thanks to skid lids
imo;i hardly ever ride without one on;cos my heads the only thing i have worth owt :LOL:

helmets save your bounce ;yes they do simples
as for debate how about salvodelli in moto gp last yr or yr before
moter bike helmets have come a long way since 1980 ;when in a race
at assen i think unchinis or luccanelis helmet came off.
he got away with it;shit happens and when it does your in the lap of the gods.
got a ten dollar head wear a ten dollar helmet;if your heads worth nowt why bother to
have one on ;)
as for me i know of 4 accidents this year on bikes;and 2 are here today thanks to skid lids
imo;i hardly ever ride without one on;cos my heads the only thing i have worth owt

See bottom left, or right, of keyboard for the Shift key!

I can honestly say I have never suffered any (physical)discomfort due to wearing a correctly adjusted cycle helmet...

I do, unless it's near freezing outside even my holey Bell helmet makes my head sweat so much that it runs in my eyes, which stings and I can't see where I'm going. As a result, I don't wear it, instead I usually wear a baseball cap, or a cycling cap, which wicks the sweat away and keeps the sweat and the sun out of my eyes.

I once got hit in the eye by something, not sure whether it was a bug, or a stone, but it sure as hell hurt and ever since I always wear protective glasses when riding. I always wear gloves too; I've taken a few tumbles in all the years I've been cycling and never once hit my head, but I have ruined a few pairs of gloves breaking my fall on tarmac and gravel tracks.

Back