Swapping wheels?

drawis

Dirt Disciple
Hi there. I have an idea, which is to run some slick road tyres on my MTB for road use. However I want the option of knobbly tyres for the off road stuff.

I want to get another set of wheels so that I can have a separate wheelset for each type of tyre and simply swap them over when needed. To make things easier I will ensure the rims widths are identical (tricky becasue this info never seems to be given on used wheels!)

If I do this will I run into problems with the chain/cassette combinations not meshing properly, or slipping. Will the system cope with occasional swap arounds? That is my question.

Oh, and what are mavic 231 rims like?

Thanks all...

If the wheelset/cassette are both the same then you will (theoretically) have no problems at all; the brakes should contact the rims in the same places on both sets.

Mavic 231's are nice rims; had a few in my time, though I'd have to check to see if I still have any on my bikes...:cool:

I did this 2 sets of wheels thing for my Mrs as was forever swapping tyres over, I used exactly same cassette on both to avoid issues, if the cassette has different ratios (particularly on big cog) then should adjust chain length which would be a step too far. Axle needs same spacing / washers etc so cassette sits in exactly same place relative to mech, and as you point out similar rim widths as will need to adjust brakes.

Mavic 231 was pretty standard in early 90s, I have them on 2 of my marins with DX and LX hubs. Never had any issues.

I use identical wheelsets and swap the cassette over too, to avoid slippage issues. I've done it successfully without swapping cassette, but the more wear the more likely slippage will be.

Back