future publishing shedding jobs

MBUK's still going? that's news to me alone, I haven't read that since my retrobikes where the latest bikes that I could'nt afford :LOL:

That's the way things are going. I find that a lot of magazines may have 1 or 2 good articles worth reading in them and are rest of the pages and pages of ads and then prices go up. Compared to 10 years ago I use to buy over a half a dozen different magazines a month and lucky to get one a month now.

MBUK had their audience all wrong in later years. There aren't enough gnarly dudes to sustain a magazine, and those that there are tend to grow up and turn a bit more serious. MBR have managed to maintain a decent circulation and have branched out into issues for tablets etc, not to mention a more adult and authoritative style of writing.

I was never an MBUK fan, but it would nevertheless be a shame if jobs did go or it went South.

I always used to get MBUK BiTD but lost interest when it went all hardcore...

...like everything else, they dumbed down the editorial too; the bike reviews used to be pages long and really interesting, and the 'rides' were detailed with good photo's.

Then, in parallel with the whole 'Playstation Generation' thing, the editorial dwindled to accomodate those who can only manage txt-speak, the photo's got bigger and fewer, and the ad's took over to pay for it all.

The decent mag died a decade ago at least... :|

Used to get the mag back in the early 90s. For someone stuck in the middle of north Wales with a few mountain biking chums, it was an essential read in those pre-WWW days. As Stevo says, it had detailed informative articles.

Picked up a copy for nostalgia's sake a year or two back as a Christmas treat. Basically unreadable because of horrible layout and prose - and impossible to distinguish editorial from advertorial from advert. I guess I'm not the audience for it any more even though I ride both retro and modern.

future publishing have been in trouble for a while now. redline was one of the top selling car mags but was forced to cease printing after future publishing had to make cuts.

have to admit I have had a few flicks through the recent MBUK mags and tbh I havent been wowed by any of them.

Back