Will road levers pull v brakes?sell me a solution!

Absolutely LGF, the fact that the lever pulls less cable also means the leverage at the blade is wrong - it exerts too much force and therefore the brake feels grabby. It is too easy to lock up. At the same time, there is little reserve of travel. Occasionally you can get away with it in the dry, but in the wet you can have the horrible feeling of the lever on the bars and little braking.

Do the job properly; V levers for V brakes.

Re: Will road levers pull v brakes?

cce":3mbgfmoe said:
diacompe 287V are road levers that pull v brake cable

I've been running these with deore v-brakes on my commuter for the last 10k miles and they work really well, only issue is that there's no cable adjuster on either the levers or the brakes, I got round this by fitting some inline adjusters.

The correct answer to the original question is YES. Only if you fit mini vbrakes. I have some on my cross bike and they work very well.

Re: Will road levers pull v brakes?

legrandefromage":34dxozhg said:
Chopper1192":34dxozhg said:
taffy":34dxozhg said:
NO

roadlevers pull less cable with more force so you would need a cable pull converter.

It's not QUITE that simple. They can and will, but the set up has to be incredibly finely judged and the wheels uber-straight to allow very fine rim to pad clearances. My Carrera drop barred MTB runs cable discs (the same pull ratio as Vs) with drop bar levers quite happily.

The big caveat is one really needs to be skilled in setting up bikes and brakes to make it work. Unless you are sheet hot in this regard, and willing to keep it finely fettled then it's not recommended.

Those canties look like an easy way out THM. New cable, hangers and straddle cables and you should be on your way.

No, the above should be avoided as a road lever has les pull and no matter how you set anything up, the lever will go straight to the bars. Braking will be snatchy and horrible.

Best just use dedicated V road levers and bar-end shifters or STi with mini V or a proper 'device' - these do work quite well when set up properly

*edit: general information for every body!
Incorrect. Mine bite fully at about 1/3 of their travel. I'm not a million miles from you LGF and if you want to meet up for a blast round the forest you're welcome to try it yourself.

It can be done with skill, but it's not recommended unless you're an above average bike tech. Considering the grief that many people have simply setting up cantis, the world's simplest brake, it's not something that Joe Everyman should consider.

Isn't this academic as I've now bought new cantis to go with the road levers?

Glad I've found something for you to argue about though. Must be at least a day since there's been one on here :facepalm:

incidentally, I had almost this exact set up in 1992 for about 6 weeks whilst waiting to buy my Zaskar. My bars were just cheapy Raleighs which were way too narrow.

21 years ago...

file.php

and we'll argue if we want to, its the internet and its hhhhhot.

Just sprayed the patio to keep it cool. Black Russians are a great antidote. Especially in pints! Hic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 205
Back