Shimano 105

legrandefromage":3gc98aua said:
I used to find huge amounts of the champagne finish 105, it always set a bike off nicely. The grey early 105 you are looking for is pretty rare as you have found. It was only about for a short while. I haven't seen any for some years now, even attached to bikes.

I've seen it with RSX, once it was everywhere, no its hard to find. Tricolour 600, everywhere NOS, then nowhere... (i'm talking car boot sales and the tip, my small little world!)

This seems to be the case, there is the odd bit on eBay but nothing like the amount of stuff that even the rarer MTB groups seem to have. I will go for those front and rear mechs for now and I found 2 chainsets in the US but they want strong money for them.

Carl.

Don't pay top dollar for any parts at the moment unless you're desparate.

Summer is always a slack time when it comes to availability.

If you wait until Sept/Oct the market usually picks up and more stuff becomes available.

Good luck with your search.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

The 105 groupset was and still is a great piece of kit, mine is almost 30 years old and done thousands of miles yet it all looks great apart from the crank arms which could do with a refurb

P1050562.jpg

P1050563.jpg

P1050564.jpg

P1050561.jpg

Bike is usable even with the comical exage country chain set on it. Will get a build thread up when it arrives.

Carl

Am sure there are various incarnations of the 105 and these may or may not fit the bill but i'd have a trawl through here: http://www.defietsenmaker.nl/index.php? ... me&lang=EN

Mario's a very helpful guy and he's got cranks, brakes etc, all at a decent price considering it's NOS - depends on your budget and whether they are close enough to the period 105 your looking for?

Worth a gander regardless....

Well the mechs have been bagged for £17 the pair which I am well pleased with. The chainset proved a little harder and I found a 6400 tri-colour from hilary stone at only £38 which looked a bit of a bargain as the only 105 for sale I could find was in the US and would have cost more, so it's having a 6400. no sooner do I bag the mechs and chainset than a whole period 105 group pops up for sale :roll: . I'll be watching it but unless it goes cheap I'll stick with what I have.
Anyway for those interested I got a build thread up for this one here: http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=265370

Carl.

Latest posts

Back