To keep original or upgrade retro style?

andymuza

Dirt Disciple
I am awaiting a delivery of a Raleigh Criterium Triathlon 12. All looks original with the exception of rear freewheel which is a 5 speed instead of a 6 and the fact it has no decals.

Now I know this isn't a top end bike and has no real prestige as a retro bike but, I have a lot of fond memories of owning one and it was a huge part of my cycling life hence the reason for buying it.

So should I leave it original or do what I wanted to do with my old one and upgrade as much as possible with Shimano 600 or Ultegra?

I would choose somewhere between the 2, just some modern 'tweaks' to make it a more pleasant bike to ride, after all that's what bike are for. As long as it meets your needs :D

I have a 1985 Raleigh Clubman, I have changed the tyres, a modern saddle, removed the mudguards, added some SPD pedals and I love it :cool:

Although the Centre pull brakes will be changed for some 105's soon

I'd leave it and ride it as you remember it. Perhaps change the freewheel back to a 6 so you have that extra gear and see how you get on.

If you love it and get the bug, but fancy something better specced or more modern then that's the time to look for your second bike :)

Then you'll want the 3rd, 4th, 5th................... :)

It all comes down to your own liking. There is no point in doing anything for more or less prestige.
If you love this bike go and buy some nice things for it which you really like to see on it and because it will get used as you said try to buy things that will also work and not only look beautiful. That's the best advice i can give. :)

I'd do what you wanted to do back then.

Its a great feeling, its what I'm in the process of doing right now. A bike I never finished back in 89. So I'm now building it with every thing I wanted back then.

Thanks everyone.

Supposed to have received the bike today but the courier got labels mixed up so my bike is missing in action at the moment.

So I have further time to think what I am going to do while they find it.

Back