Vitus 979 bike

shakeymay67

Retro Newbie
Hi all,
Iam green horn so be gentle,

I have just bought a Peugeot Vitus 979 on Ebay for £40, not knowing it was a ally frame , after doing a few Google searches, its looks like I might have struck lucky, My question is , its got Shimano 105 brakes all round and Mavin gp4 wheels . ive been told from google Shimano 105 were run of the mill brake systems in the 80s, what upgrades are there brakes , crank wheels etc. I want to upgrade the bike because I think its worth doing as the frame is a classic I hope any thoughts. My knowledge of tech stuff is zero , only bought it because I have watched the TDF for the last 6 years, and decided to get a cheap bike and get fit. I will post a picture if anyone is interested.
Thanks

Nice find for £40. Shimano 105 isn't bottom of the ladder but it also isn't in keeping with a 979 frame. If you want to keep the whole package period then Mavic SSC components would be the perfect groupset for this build although they are difficult to find nowadays

There's a great thread here of a Vitus and Mavic SSC Build

Hi Shaky
You have just mentioned my 2 favourite statements ie Peugeot and 979 Vitus. That was an absolute bargain and well done.... ! I have a 1983 979 Peugeot which I ride all the sprtives I can on... Ive been pictured with her and Sean Kelly , Bernard Hinault and not forgetting Miss Galway :cool: Pity the engine of the bike is in really bad shape .....! I am a real willy waver as well as I dress up in all the old Peugeot gear including the SIDI lace up shoes...

I just love the way mine rides.. She has GP4's also and Shimano 600 .. Ive replaced the brake levers for the exposed cable type. The gearlevers are 105 SIS which I have on friction but these I am soon replacing with Simplex SLJ and a set of Simplex derailleurs. The chainwheel I understand was originally a Stronglight 105 BIS but the chances of me finding that are slim.

105 isnt bad stuff now in fairness... I say give her a good cleaning and service, get out on her and keep an eye out for stuff and replace as you get it... the Mavic stuff as said above is the ultimate for a French bike of that era

Get out there, get fit and soak up all the admiring glances... Now put up them pics .. !
I'll put mine up tommorrow I promise

VanhireBoys":35zqy3k3 said:
I am a real willy waver as well as I dress up in all the old Peugeot gear including the SIDI lace up shoes...

Come on then lets see the bike and rider in full pose mode ...

looks like a nice bike, I had one in the team colours from 1984, sort of brown/bronze coloured main triangle tubes and polished aluminium forks, head tube and seat and chainstays.

they are a great ride, quite flexible if you are a powerful rider, but then if Saint Sean can ride one anyone can!

have a look at this link: -

http://cyclespeugeot.com/index.html

and go to the catalogues page, I think your bike will be listed in the 1984 UK.pdf catalogue as a PX10DU '979'. The original equipment is listed there.

as a newbie, and having paid only £40 for an excellent frame, you might be a little scared by the prices of Campagnolo Record or Super Record parts to match the pro bikes!

is the top tube cable entry port a little "frilly" round the edge? I have found that a problem caused by running the cables under the handlebar tape, I solved it by taking the cables out the top of the levers, 1970s style.

have a search online for Robert Millar and Peugeot, he rode one of these very successfully.

my current Vitus is a black mid 80s 979 with a steel fork, badged by Partingtons, a bike shop in Bolton I gather. she's my winter bike with a real mix of parts.
richie

Thank Guys for info, I gave me Vitus a good clean today and took it out for 10 mile spin , god its quick... first road bike ,why have I been riding a trek mountain bike for the 10 years on the road ????. few issues with brakes aahhhhhhh. Any reason why the brake cables are under the tape. Think I am going to throw some money at this bike and try and make it old school,
looking at the bike today .
Frame Vitus 979,
Brakes Shimano 105
Handlebars Atax , very narrow , any thoughts wider ones in that era
hubs milliards 700
wheels mavic gp4
gears Shimano 105
spockets and crank strong light unkown number
pedals HALFORDS .. MUST GO. Any thoughts.
I keep you all posted ,
WELL HAPPY.

Hi Shaky - What a corker .. Well Done...! Just get out now and get fit... I find with mine I absolutely terrorise the carbon lads who look down their noses..

Sorry for the hijack but how could I resist the mid-life crisis pics....

Montello":2fy6vo6o said:
Come on then lets see the bike and rider in full pose mode ...

bigfatron":2fy6vo6o said:
looks like a nice bike, I had one in the team colours from 1984, sort of brown/bronze coloured main triangle tubes and polished stays and fork

Great Spin Out West 2012
9358003448_937d534c40.jpg

Givin It big licks on Castle Climb and Terrorising the Modern Machines
9358003430_9e05520dc2.jpg

Taken this year in Full Pose Mode (Courtesey of Geoff Waugh)
9358003366_dc37950747.jpg

Now that cool Vanhire. Just been out for 20 miles tonite, met a few carbon boys , they couldn't believe how quick the bike was, I can assure you the engine is not. I am hooked. I only do old school stuff cars motorbikes and now road bikes, just ordered a Kas cap and decals , and looking for Kas canal jersey in XL, and on the hunt for some pedals at the moment.
The bank going to love me.

Back