groups of bikes, whats the rule on the road ?

I just assumed that once you reached a certain status in club and rode in a big group that you got secret code to be able to call down weapons of mass destruction allowing you to do what ever you liked on the road, or was it just safety in numbers and a desire to wanting to make the motorist pay

the only large event I've done where big group was the monopoly run in London - chaos,

Apart from any etiquette, riding more than two abreast is dangerous. One rider coming a copper will likely gather them all up. Even riding 2 abreast the rider in secondary should be half-behind, their front wheel level with the rear of the insider riders bike. What looks stylish on The Tour doesn't translate to safe progress on public road.

2 abrest only.
Nearside rider in cars n/s wheel track, o/s rider where car centre would be.
The group stays together to be like 1 long vehicle and should be overtaken as such.
If group splits leave a large gap for overtaking cars, not small but tempting gap for a vehicle to overtake and nip into.
If group stays together but causes traffic queue like any other slow vehicle pull over when convenient to let traffic pass.

stewlewis":24l5ptt0 said:
If group stays together but causes traffic queue like any other slow vehicle pull over when convenient to let traffic pass.
These are wise words, though I think you'd be more likely to see Lord Lucan popping a wheelie to overtake on his BMX before you'd see a typical group of club riders pull across to allow traffic to pass.

True, much like many tractors, trucks, pensioners. If there's a queue of 5 or more vehicles behind you should shift.

I don't do club rides, but some mates do and I have noticed a much more anti-driver attitude since he started riding with a club.

I think that generally we get the etiquette from drivers as we show them. There will always be the idiots though.

This debate usually seems to fall as if cyclists aren't also drivers, a bit like the "you don't pay road tax argument"

Back