Will road levers pull v brakes?sell me a solution!

While it is true they pull cantis, the older wide (non low profile) ones are by far the best. Lo pro cantis tend to need a little more cable pull. If you do decide to use them, run them with the pads as far to the ends of the posts as possible.

Re: Will road levers pull v brakes?

taffy":18bu5yz7 said:
NO

roadlevers pull less cable with more force so you would need a cable pull converter.

It's not QUITE that simple. They can and will, but the set up has to be incredibly finely judged and the wheels uber-straight to allow very fine rim to pad clearances. My Carrera drop barred MTB runs cable discs (the same pull ratio as Vs) with drop bar levers quite happily.

The big caveat is one really needs to be skilled in setting up bikes and brakes to make it work. Unless you are sheet hot in this regard, and willing to keep it finely fettled then it's not recommended.

Those canties look like an easy way out THM. New cable, hangers and straddle cables and you should be on your way.

Yes I now have all the necessaries on their way! Happy again! Easily pleased. It will be a beast of cobbled together weirdness. Probably wont like it. But will be my winter road bike and HONC steed. Not allowed another so this will mean one FS one ally rigid, one steel rigid frankenbike, basso road and Armstrong. Everything covered?

Re: Will road levers pull v brakes?

Chopper1192":39stscpd said:
taffy":39stscpd said:
NO

roadlevers pull less cable with more force so you would need a cable pull converter.

It's not QUITE that simple. They can and will, but the set up has to be incredibly finely judged and the wheels uber-straight to allow very fine rim to pad clearances. My Carrera drop barred MTB runs cable discs (the same pull ratio as Vs) with drop bar levers quite happily.

The big caveat is one really needs to be skilled in setting up bikes and brakes to make it work. Unless you are sheet hot in this regard, and willing to keep it finely fettled then it's not recommended.

Those canties look like an easy way out THM. New cable, hangers and straddle cables and you should be on your way.

No, the above should be avoided as a road lever has les pull and no matter how you set anything up, the lever will go straight to the bars. Braking will be snatchy and horrible.

Best just use dedicated V road levers and bar-end shifters or STi with mini V or a proper 'device' - these do work quite well when set up properly

*edit: general information for every body!

Back