GT STS-2 build advice - Fork choice/options

ishaw

Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
This is going to be my last build for a while as I want to settle down with just a few bikes and use them. Always fancied an STS ever since I had an RTS-2 back when they came out and evolution/development produced what I think is one of the nicest looking full suspension bikes ever. I will soon have my hands on an STS-2 variant and for inspiration have been surfing the net and the STS thread on here, but there are so many nice examples I'm a bit lost on what to do with mine.

In an ideal world I don't want to she'll out on new bits, luckily I have a hoarde of parts that I hope I can use, so I thought I'd start with my options and hope that the learned RB elders can steer me right. So, options are:

Strip my RTS Team of its parts and transplant them, then kit out the RTS in either m900 or m952 (ish) parts. Currently the RTS is wearing a full m970 xtr groupset, fox talas RLC forks and ceramic mavic crossmax wheels.

Option 2 would be to kit the STS out in m952. Tried and tested on my last 2 builds (DBR Axis TT and Dyna-Tech Torus). I'd need to get a wheelset built though, unless I steal some ringle hubbed, campag rimmed wheels from my Klein which I'm going to sell anyway.

Option 3 is XT m739 all the way, with the exception of cranks as I could go m750.

I have other component choices too, allowing cranks to be syncros, caramba sidewinders (silver or black) or even some cooks in black (dog bones I think).

Forks are the interesting area that could make or break the look of the bike (which is important to me, but appreciate function as well as form), and have in the stash the following options:

Nos Noleen carbon crosslinks (have red bits though, so may need some changes to fit in with the blue STS decals), lawwill leader 3s - colour scheme wise would work a treat, but not sure about function (though been wanting to use them since I had Mert Lawwill service them a few years ago), rock shox judy FSX with carbon brace and Englund air carts, pace RC36 with the carbon braces and fettled by justbackdated, pace Air Force II, amp fx3 in carbon, rock shox sid race (2007 ish I think) in silver with black decals and crown, or the fox mentioned earlier or some f80x.

Just listing the above confirms my OCD behaviour hence this being a final build for a while.

Another wheel option or two: nuke proof carbon hubs (will need to have built up), or spinergy xyclone with yellow spokes (were planned for my all yellow amp b5 build but that will be going too).

Brake option available: magura race line, though don't fancy drilling out the frame to run full length outers.

That's about it, aside from stem/bar/seat post and saddle. I've got some syncros bars in black, carbon profiles, answer and bontrager xxx, or black controltechs. Stem wise I have controltech, syncros, bontrager xxx, use, nuke proof and ringle in black. Seat posts I'm not sure I have anything in 27.0. Bar ends: syncros steer horns in silver, answer hyperlites in black or some carbon nuke proofs too.

So, opinions please. Happy to think about other options and would happily trade to get the best build I can out of what I have, then the cull will begin............ and hopefully end.

Re: GT STS-2 build advice/inspiration please

Sounds like you have a plan sorted , with the maguras you can get guides that fit to your current cable guides and they look good .

I know its not a big help but I would go silver and black on everything , yellow raclines with new decals with a yellow edging to pull the yellow towards the middle of the bike whilst keeping the bull of colour on the furthest points :)

I always choose a colour scheme first and the most obvious choice here would be black and silver.

Wheels, I would get those Spinergy straight on and see if they suit, they either will or won't, they'll be no half measures. If not Spinergy, then the Nuke proof hubs with maybe black Mavic XC717's and black spokes.

Forks, not sure, the Noleens would be cool, but they may look a bit OTT. My first choice would be Pace, but that might be too much black and you may need to balance all the alloy at the back of the bike.

That would be my starting point, then after that I'd offer up other bits to see what suited, although Contorl Tech or Syncros would be the classiest looking option, possibly with matching Syncros cranks.

Mechs and brakes, I think M952 would look suitably stealthy.

Sounds like you're about to have lots of fun trying bits. Sooner or later the whole thing will 'click'.

Thanks, I was hoping to avoid swapping parts on and off, but it may be inevitable.

I know what you mean.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I don't have anything like the collection of classy parts you do, so I tend to set a direction in my head and then just add the stem or seat or seatpost that is needed. It changes from build to build, with some bikes, like the DOGS, I knew exactly what I wanted, and got it. With others, the final look sort of emerges as the build goes on.

I think I would get some likely bits together and see if they work at a whole, before then putting them on the frame.

I almost always start with the wheels.

Cheers. I think you are fortunate not to have so many parts laying idle, tieing up funds and making decisions hard. I want to get this bike right and then de-clutter.

Pace forks for me, but I'm a bit biased.

DSCF0555 by steven.clubb, on Flickr

Tyres now swapped to velociraptors as thats what it came with originally.

That looks good, food for thought for sure. What are people's thoughts/tidy solutions for the seat post? Not keen on having any visible if I can avoid it, but appreciate there may be good reason to run a long post.

I have some new (boxed / never fitted / with spares) black / black xyclones if you are interested ?

WD :D

The pace forks will look good but I would be tempted to try rockshox fsx, if there the carbon ones then they my suit the frame better?
M952 for me with either syncros kit or the control tech...prob syncros imho.

Wheels well that's gonna be tough,I think a bit of trying and seeing what looks "right" on the bike.
But am sure you will do a great job with this build and I will keep an eye out as I think it may look rather nice!!

Back