Blow out at speed

Pyro Tim

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Last night I went out on a ride in the Purbecks with Makster and some others. Was a great ride, but on the Nine Barrow Down descent (a long, 11% rocky downhill) I had a rear blow out. According to Strava I was doing 33mph when it happened. I somehow managed to control it, with the rear sliding badly side to side and came to a controlled stop. Unfortunately I obviously couldn't just stop, and had to slow slowly, resulting in a 50 piece shaped rear rim (Anyone got a X517 in silver?). I was extremely fortunate not to come off, as I believe a helicopter would probably have been in order at that speed, on that descent.

Have you had any near misses at this speed with blow outs? Or have you come a cropper?

Pyro Tim":p80iwmuh said:
Last night I went out on a ride in the Purbecks with Makster and some others. Was a great ride, but on the Nine Barrow Down descent (a long, 11% rocky downhill) I had a rear blow out. According to Strava I was doing 33mph when it happened. I somehow managed to control it, with the rear sliding badly side to side and came to a controlled stop. Unfortunately I obviously couldn't just stop, and had to slow slowly, resulting in a 50 piece shaped rear rim (Anyone got a X517 in silver?). I was extremely fortunate not to come off, as I believe a helicopter would probably have been in order at that speed, on that descent.

Have you had any near misses at this speed with blow outs? Or have you come a cropper?

Yep, done that. Only noticed I'd had a blow out when the tyre started hitting the back of my leg :shock: . Wheel is still in use :D

FMJ":p80iwmuh said:
You haven't lived till you've rolled a tubular mid pack in a crit.

That would be ermmm 'entertaining' and would require a change of shorts !! :LOL:

a friend and i riding back from a day out got into a game of high speed chicken going into a pedestrian underpass with a safety barrier at the bottom - well, that was the last time i ever bought that particular brand of tyre, my braking force was so great that it split clean in half width-ways to the beading on each side. no damage to the barrier or us and it was only a few miles from home :)

Pyro Tim":9wsvins0 said:
oh good, please share ;)

roll.png

Glad you still have all your teeth! And your dashing good looks! Something I've not experienced personally....were they "old" tyres?

On a training ride a few years ago I had a Specialized Fatboy at 90psi blow-out on me. Went off like a bloomin' gunshot but I wasn't going fast and didn't fall off. Did have to call a neighbour to come and collect me though... :facepalm: .

Back