1992 Marin Indian Fire Trail

pristineplasterer

Retro Newbie
Hi, brand new to the site so be gentle.

Ive just acquired a 1992 Indian Fire Trail for the princely sum of 40 pounds. I would love to restore it to its former glory and after some tips.

It came with some Manitou Answer Easton E9 forks which were seized solid. With some gentle persuasion they now bottom out but dont rebound back . Am I to assume the elastomers are shot and need replacing ? I have 2 sets of working Rock Shox kicking about in the shed and was wondering if it would be possible to use the springs from these to get the Manitous up and running again ? Finding replacement elastomer kits seems alot of hassle .

Great site btw learning loads already.

Thanks in advance Phil, 40 something retro mtb rider

Phil, welcome from one 40 something marin owner to another, mine are all rigid forks so can't help on that but sure someone can, at this point there is usually a request for pics, so.....................

pristineplasterer":kal1pnj8 said:
Hi, brand new to the site so be gentle.

Ive just acquired a 1992 Indian Fire Trail for the princely sum of 40 pounds. I would love to restore it to its former glory and after some tips.

It came with some Manitou Answer Easton E9 forks which were seized solid. With some gentle persuasion they now bottom out but dont rebound back . Am I to assume the elastomers are shot and need replacing ? I have 2 sets of working Rock Shox kicking about in the shed and was wondering if it would be possible to use the springs from these to get the Manitous up and running again ? Finding replacement elastomer kits seems alot of hassle .

Great site btw learning loads already.

Thanks in advance Phil, 40 something retro mtb rider

Welcome to the site Phil. Give your wallet to your wife now or the rot will set in quick as you like.

I am more of a rigid fork man than shocks although I do have a Team with Rock Shox . I serviced these myself this year and it's not difficult. Especially when most service manuals are in the gallery section.

That said, I doubt Manitou and RS parts are interchangable but someone more knowledgeable than I will be along soon to point you in the right direction.

If it were me I would fish around for some rigid forks and stick them on.

Good luck

Mark

Likely to be Manitou 1 if 92 and Easton E9...

Parts are not interchangeable with Rockshox as far as I'm aware...

There are some places in the states which well refresh kits for the elastomers but they are not cheap...

Stick some pics up and we can give you some more info

Maybe you want to talk to forum member Whayne. I think i saw an ad in which he sells the right rigid forks for your bike. I have that strong feeling even a functional Manitou 1 has next to no suspension. :) But if you like the look of the fork it may be worth it to get some replacement elastomers. Talk to Fluffy Chicken. He is the man who knows everything about suspension forks.

Back