TDF Spectators

I just did a google search for that Dutch rider Jonny. I hope it was my spelling, but the results certainly weren't cycling related!!

Not all the riders (if any) appreciate the close attention of the fans, this is from Jens Voigt's daily blog on Bicycling:

Now once I hit Alpe d’Huez I knew it was going to be crazy but it was even worse, and on several points it was downright scary ! Fans were really pushing the limit and being dangerous and I think my team car ran over 50 pairs of feet and probably hit another 50 with the mirror.

And I just want to say one thing: Fans, please don’t tap me on the shoulders! I don’t know how many fans tapped me—probably 200. And each time it is like I am getting slapped. Please feel free to yell and scream, but please don’t tap me on the back. I’m in enough pain already!

My first ever Tour stage last Sunday, Ventoux, what a place.
Sounded like the crowd were booing as Quintana and Froome headed up to us but they were actually shouting Frooooooome. Funny to watch grown men scrabbling on the ground for shitty caps and small packets of sausages :LOL:

161 in the photo is Lars Boom. Mollema is 164 (both are Dutch). Agreed the spectacle and atmosphere is amazing and wouldn't want to spoil that, but definately the running clowns and naked show offs are a menace, one mishap can ruin a rider's season let alone his Tour. You couldn't imagine a 100m sprint world final with crazy lunatics allowed trackside stepping in the lane with their handycams. It is getting a bit ridiculous at the Tour unfortunately.

Great Tour this year overall though!

my mistake regarding the numbers :oops:

anyway, here are a couple of pics i took to show you the crowds, generally the gap didn't look too bad considering the amount of people, that said this movistar rider obviously didn't appreciate the fan almost hitting him in the face. that said some of the riders had smiles on their faces, quintana (spelt right?) didn't look to happy nor did andy schleck, and the guy getting the double back pat probably wasn't happy either.

Attachments

• spectator1.jpg
    spectator1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 202
  • spectater 2.jpg
    spectater 2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 202
  • spectater3.jpg
    spectater3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 202
  • spectater4.jpg
    spectater4.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 202
i was sat on a wall by the church which sort of looks down on the road by about 3 metres, awesome :D

Back