Hope disc timeline

My old one is more like 4mm (mild steel) - although I didn't get a chance to measure it last night - that's what make me think your disc might be an early prototype of the later release, or even a home attempt at doing things cheaply. I am of course just speculating, I'm sure a visit to Hope and a rake through their drawers would be quite interesting.

Its also worth bearing in mind that it could have had a 4mm disc originally. If you look at my first pic you can see the flanges on the spider are 1-2mm higher than the current disc surface suggesting a 4mm would have sat flush with the top surface of the flange.

There a different disc carrier on eBay ATM - that makes at least 3 differ versions - this one appears to bolt on almost like a modern disc with a six bolt mount to the hub.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 479
Re:

Does anyone have a rear hub which looks like this in blue/silver as shown? Or indeed any similar looking Hope disc hub to use with generic discs?

big.eck":9vorddyh said:
IMG_0531.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

You are better off posting in the wanted forum. This thread is more for a technical exploration of early hope discs. FWIW what you are looking for shows up on eBay every couple of months.

It's not a wanted ad, although it could turn into one :LOL:

My question is to establish if such hubs are available in that style (ie with silver/titanium central section between the coloured flanges) for other disc setups, rather than the solid red/blue designs which Hope later manufactured.
I haven't seen any...........the only ebay ones I've noticed in that design are either for Hope specific discs, or rim brakes.

The rear hub as you described is called a Ti-glide and definately available in with blue flanges with a fitting for a screw on disc carrier/spider. What is highly unlikely is that you will find a screw on spider that fits anything but hope only 5 bolt discs. I have seen 1 3 bolt spider that will take IS 6 bolt rotors and there may be a few incredibly rare 6 bolt spiders. Having said that if you are willing to hunt you can find almost any size rotor in a 5 bolt fitting so can mate it to almost any make of caliper.

The full range of 5 bolt rotors is on the hope website.

I have a tiglide rear splined in blue, short axle for a #2 caliper in the garage (and also a front identical to the one you pictured - they are destined for my manitou build and can be prised from my cold dead hands....

The tiglide was never a 6 bolt design you had to go to the sport series hubs for that....

There is nothing to stop you running a full axle in a splined carrier rear as long as you have disk tabs on the frame, I know a lot of the early DH bikes were set up like that!

boxxer":1pujgnwj said:
There is nothing to stop you running a full axle in a splined carrier rear as long as you have disk tabs on the frame, I know a lot of the early DH bikes were set up like that!

Now you might be talkin' my language :D

Explain further if possible please.... .... .... ....

I want to fit a Hope rear in blue/Ti to my 1992 Explosif which has had disc tabs brazed on :twisted:

If I can't get one I'll just use Avid BB5 disc brake with standard/Shiteano hub :|

Back