why is everyone against froome?

I much prefer Froome to Wiggo. He seems like a quiet, polite, humble guy who, even when he gets beaten, has nothing but praise for his rivals. Mark of a true champion whereas Wiggo is just a bit of a twat and would have been spanked if he'd turned up this year...which is why he didn't. I still reckon Froome would've beaten him last year had the team permitted it.

Also Wiggo screwed Froome over in the 2011 Vuelta which he would have undoubtedly won had Sir Wiggo done the decent thing and set him free of his domestique shackles when he realised he couldn't win. He lost by 13 seconds to a cheating Spaniard....

mr_ship":g822jct3 said:
I much prefer Froome to Wiggo. He seems like a quiet, polite, humble guy who, even when he gets beaten, has nothing but praise for his rivals. Mark of a true champion whereas Wiggo is just a bit of a twat and would have been spanked if he'd turned up this year...which is why he didn't. I still reckon Froome would've beaten him last year had the team permitted it.
Agree with this,

also heard the French quite like him as speaks a bit of french and gives it a go.

I can understand why many people are suspicious, but I think the problem is that whichever "fact" is turned up, it can be taken as proof that he's doping, but those who want to think that, or can be explained by something perfectly innocent. His time on mont ventoux? so quick because he was doping. Or was it because there was an (unusual) tailwind that day?

The fact that up until a couple of years ago he was pretty much a nobody? the doubters think he must have started doping then, when he got to sky. Others will think it was because he was ill and didn't get diagnosed and treated properly until then.

Personally I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt - there is no evidence at all to suggest he's doping, just vague misguided conclusions thrown about on the internet, which are then blown out of all proportion as they are told and told again. chinese whispers, anyone?

That said, I do think he is one of the ugliest bike riders for a long long time, if ever... i don't mean him, I mean his style... arms all gangling about, head dropping all the time, he just looks all "wrong" on the bike. He's still quicker than the rest, so must be doing something right, but he really should work on his style a bit!

daugs":1ialysfs said:
also heard the French quite like him as speaks a bit of french and gives it a go.
Living in Monaco it would be useful to know a bit of French. Wiggo also gave press conferences in French last year.

foz":1ialysfs said:
That said, I do think he is one of the ugliest bike riders for a long long time, if ever... i don't mean him, I mean his style... arms all gangling about, head dropping all the time, he just looks all "wrong" on the bike. He's still quicker than the rest, so must be doing something right, but he really should work on his style a bit!

Fully agree with this, he looks like Kermit the frog on a bike. Shame Sky have their zero tolerance to ex-dopers cos I'd be hiring David Millar to teach him how to look good on a bike.

Froome's performance has been utterly brilliant this tour. Its sad that the last 20 odd years means he has to constantly answer questions about doping but that just where cycling is at the moment. Personally I think its a shame that he wasn't able to keep competing for Kenya but its no different to the likes of Peterson and Trott playing cricket for England.

joe careless":20xtkwdc said:
more importantly will i be able to watch the final stage on itvplayer live?? i can't get digital itv in the shop
Yes, they've shown all off their live tv stuff online. Don't forget its an evening finish. Think ITV are showing full stage starting around 4:30.

mr_ship":gmn79av3 said:
I

Also Wiggo screwed Froome over in the 2011 Vuelta which he would have undoubtedly won had Sir Wiggo done the decent thing and set him free of his domestique shackles when he realised he couldn't win. He lost by 13 seconds to a cheating Spaniard....

More utter crap on this thread, juan jose cobo won the 2011 veulta and he has never been caught taking drugs.along with pyro tim saying froome was crap 2 year's ago its all a bit laughable

here's that pic i was talking about, the dutch are not fans of team sky, just after this the freebie water bottles from vittel were thrown at the car.

Attachments

• team sky fans.jpg
    team sky fans.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 249
matthew71":3sv14mej said:
mr_ship":3sv14mej said:
I

More utter crap on this thread, juan jose cobo won the 2011 veulta and he has never been caught taking drugs.along with pyro tim saying froome was crap 2 year's ago its all a bit laughable

Sadly given the history of professional cycling, in particular over the last 15 years and as the first post-Armstrong revelations Tour, it isn't laughable and it's only right to question. This is certainly not fair on Froome - how does he prove a negative - but when you have Dr Michael Ashenden saying "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is" (NOT about Froome but the principle holds) then there should be healthy scepticism. And Team Sky saying "we're clean" really shouldn't cut it.

But it's not just about Froome or Sky - where is the querying of Movistar and Valverde and Rui Costa, particularly given their murky drug related past? No real mention, certainly not by Phil and Paul. And no positive tests from this years Tour?

It's possibly unfair on Froome, but the last time we had a rider suffering from a life threatening illness and coming back amazingly to win the Tour, look what happened. Has there been a better Grand Tour rider than Froome since 2011? And, given he was about to be dropped by Sky, where did all this come from in his mid 20s? Unfair? I definitely hope so. But not to even query?

Back