bartape wrapping

daugs":3scnf6mr said:
do people on here do the harlequin wrapping ?

4824991949_c304ca8c38.jpg

Never seen that before looks :cool:

I've always started from the stem, I never looked how to do it I just did it the way I thought was easiest and best, never had any problems with my tape.

Alison

Lysander":2huv8vwv said:
unkleGsif":2huv8vwv said:
Am I alone in using bar tape on mountain bikes? :oops:

...inside to ends by the way ;)

G

I use it on bar ends- long L-bend stylee, but I'm not proud of the fact. You may well be alone in your deviancy using it instead of grips.
In fact, there's probably a government register that you should be on.........

At least the tape on my bar ends matched the tape on my grips... collars and cuffs and all that :LOL:

G

The reason you start at the ends and wrap towards the centre of the bars is so that the leading edge is covered on the bends as they curve from the straight part at the top of the bar to the brake hoods. If you do it the other way around, the leading edge is exposed and you tend to roll the edges over and it starts to peel off the tape where you hold the bends with your hands. This was probably more of a problem with the old style plain canvas tape that it is with modern padded vinyl stuff you get now.

To have a long-lasting tape job, you always want to wrap from the end of the bar so that each wrap holds down the inner edge of the prior one. The wrapping direction is important too. Wrapping from the center of the bar and finishing at the end plug is a mistake, because your hands will instantly peel back the edge of each tape wrap as you ride. The tape will look bad and get torn quickly. Wrap from the ends of the bar, working up to the stem.

http://www.bikeworldnews.com/2013/06/19 ... r-tune-up/

Isaac_AG":21vaxkfz said:
daugs":21vaxkfz said:
do people on here do the harlequin wrapping ?

4824991949_c304ca8c38.jpg

Never seen that before looks :cool:

I've always started from the stem, I never looked how to do it I just did it the way I thought was easiest and best, never had any problems with my tape.

Alison
cloth bartape ordered and video's watched, gonna have a go at that....if I can splice wire rope a bit of bartape shouldn't be too hard...

I find if you start in the centre the open edge of the tape is facing upwards on the drops and above the brake hoods and the pressure of gripping puckers the edges really quickly.
Its definately easier to do a tidy job of it starting from the middle but it doesn't look tidy for very long ;)

Back