90's Hybrid/Cross bike thread.

Bicycle Addict

Retro Guru
Hi guy's is there already a thread devoted to these bikes, Trek Multitarack, Diamond Back Overdrive, Marin stinson,sausalito, Univega Via carisma, Giant Innova,nutra.
I get hassled alot by a couple of mate for liking these bikes . . . especailly since I got a Giant Innova free with 4 other bikes . . I only had to do a 450 km round trip to get them, they were free so . . . I also picked up a Estay NZ made MTB frame with some early LX bits on it.
Anyway I am looking for some inspiration I 'spose can anyone help with a pic or 2?
I have stripped the Innova down the seat post fought me for about an hour worth of vice time and the stem about the same, both were oiled and left worked on oiled again, etc.
I really struggeled with the stem, in the end I slid the forkends ove the railing of our back stairs, put an old front hub and quick release in and used that as leverage from a lower height than the vice, allowing me to pull up with more force.
I just need to get out the BB now!!?? I am not worrried about that that much??
I can not seem to load a pic
Anyway Thanks

Attachments

• IMAG0223.jpg
    IMAG0223.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 3,865
Not much love for old hybrids?? I think they are great for gravel roads and touring, at least after a serous upgrade of the lousy components many of these came with originally And I love my Univega Via Carisma, -now upgraded with some nice parts and a Brooks Conquest saddle. :)

This was back when the type of bike was being defined and were often referred to as City Bikes. Some of them were superb bikes and the make excellent daily riders or commuters.

As this is my second post I guess its time to say hi. I turned fifty a couple of years ago, so sadly kind of missed the mountain bike thing when I grew up. Back then every decent bike around had drop bars. Later though I have come to appreciate old steel framed mountain and "hybrid" bikes, and today all the bikes in the family are old bikes upgraded with mostly period high quality parts. To me there is nothing much in a bike-shop today that compare favorably with early nineties high polish parts and thumb shifters :) I have been hanging around this site for a couple of years, and it has become a favorite. Although I've been my own mechanic all my life (with a toolbox to prove it) I've learned a lot from you guys.
More to topic; -to me it seems as many of the early hybrids came with high end components, while they later became more of a city bike with lower spec. I guess to make a price point.
My Via Carisma came with double butted cromo "Bi-Axial Power Oval Design" similar to the Alpina's that I see get more interest and recognition as a nice frameset.

Can I post a photo of my Rock Combo ?

rockcombo1.jpg

Hi, guys Thanks for the replies, these bike were labeled performance mountain bikes as well, Gary fisher was quite into them as a concept some years before.
I love CroMo frames and wanted something to put my black LX derailleurs and tektro CR710's onto.
I will get the fixed cup out tomorrow at work, get a new BB in, Ritchey Logic H/set . . . stem and bars undecided at this stage.
I do not know what cranks to use either, I could go original they were rusty but salvageable or some XT's or some Sakae AX . . . I do not know yet.
Anyway i will take pics as I go. Thanks

Sundayjumper":zjb9282f said:
Can I post a photo of my Rock Combo ?

rockcombo1.jpg

Sure . . Nice bike. Could you post your Gary Fisher to?

My MTB "hybrids" hope you like 'em

Attachments

• Chaos 004.jpg
    Chaos 004.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 3,790
  • P1010024.jpg
    P1010024.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 3,791
  • P1010026.jpg
    P1010026.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 3,792
I get hassled alot by a couple of mate for liking these bikes . .

700C bikes are rarely slagged off but, well over-looked as an all-round bike. Some of the bikes have slender forks making for limited tyre choice, if you want to go off road. Having said that, most cyclo-cross tyres of 35-42 will see you right for most wooded trails and suchlike.

I have a '94 stinson that is nearly ready to roll but, still musing on tyre choice. Apart from wheel, tyres and tubes everything else is just ATB stuff bolted on, so therefore sustainable for me as i have plenty of that equipment and, easy to obtain.

AND, i have found it very frustrating (before this project) when looking for retro new old stock rims on the market places for my MTB's only to find a pair cheap and tasty, to then find they are 700c ! No good back then, but now perfectly good. ;)

So, as we look back to hybrid offerings of the 90's we are effectively looking forward as most mountainbikes seem to have 700c tyres. The whole thing has gone full circle.

I have no image to throw up yet, so will do asap.

cheers.

Funny this thread should show up, I just left my FIL's house in Florida today... I'd forgotten all about the off-road pro-flex hybrid he had, hasn't seen too much use the flex stem and rear end all in good shape except that the elastomers are toast... wish it would have been a 26", and he's not quite ready to let it go just yet...

Back