Got a job ...kind of

Funny I have a student loan from 1990ish that I defer every year, I can defer it now but in a couple of years if I don't pay it off there will be no deferment no low interest rate, they'll arrive with their vans and insist if I don't pay now I'll have everything removed, and I don't have a lot to spare :facepalm: but they'll take it anyway despite my protestations to pay it monthly, maybe you'd say that's just tuff and I should have paid from the start, I just didn't earn enough after and have been on a pittance when I have earned, but soon it will come to not a case of you earning but whether your husband has an income of anything from JSA or real money, you won't escape

Alison

Isaac_AG":1oqf1g29 said:
highlandsflyer":1oqf1g29 said:
Big deal if they raise the interest a little on older loans. No one could have anticipated the rate of interest being so low.

It is rubbish about them having the due amounts demanded though, the repayment rate is not increasing, nor is the income related aspect changing.

Scotland has a different system of education entirely, so what we do here is not really relevant.

Scott who?

Mad myth that it's even going to be low interest for the foreseeable future, by the time my 13 year old is in Uni it'll be 2000% on the cheap student loans, when sold off you'll be lucky if you get Wonga interest rates, and there will be no NHS as we are living too long and expect far, far to much, we are expecting multi, multi billions to keep us, when there is hardly enough to keep hospital cleaners in jobs :roll: I'm sorry your living in fairy land if you think student's in England will be any better off than your average tramp when they are £50-60,000 in debt, and that's just your basic graduate Drs will be £150,000+ in debt and expected to pay £150+ every week to try to cover debts just to become graduates never mind further training, I'm probably underestimating that, it's probably more like £300-400 a week if not a lot more.

Whether Scotland is relevant to the English or not the point is free education should be for all not just for the minority that happen to live in the right country. Greenstiles has not a chance of higher education here unless he has a fortune or has family that has a fortune, it's shit but it's reality. only the seriously well off will have any chance of a Uni degree as my 8 year old says. he will never go to uni as he does not want to be lumbered with debt, and I didn't even suggest he might be he just got it from school. Maybe he'll join his brother in the Marines, at least his brother isn't lumbered with huge unsecured debts and is well paid.

Alison

Don't you even have a clue how much a GP earns?

This is complete rubbish and scaremongering.

I am against loans rather than grants, but there is a point where making things up just irks me.

plenty of free training on offer within company, it's quie a big company too. just done an OCN. But will be looking into other training.

Llawer luck i ti, I never became a fully fledged ship's engineer simply due to the fact I didn't want a 14kdebt strapped to me.

highlandsflyer":xrtk010r said:
Isaac_AG":xrtk010r said:
highlandsflyer":xrtk010r said:
Big deal if they raise the interest a little on older loans. No one could have anticipated the rate of interest being so low.

It is rubbish about them having the due amounts demanded though, the repayment rate is not increasing, nor is the income related aspect changing.

Scotland has a different system of education entirely, so what we do here is not really relevant.

Scott who?

Mad myth that it's even going to be low interest for the foreseeable future, by the time my 13 year old is in Uni it'll be 2000% on the cheap student loans, when sold off you'll be lucky if you get Wonga interest rates, and there will be no NHS as we are living too long and expect far, far to much, we are expecting multi, multi billions to keep us, when there is hardly enough to keep hospital cleaners in jobs :roll: I'm sorry your living in fairy land if you think student's in England will be any better off than your average tramp when they are £50-60,000 in debt, and that's just your basic graduate Drs will be £150,000+ in debt and expected to pay £150+ every week to try to cover debts just to become graduates never mind further training, I'm probably underestimating that, it's probably more like £300-400 a week if not a lot more.

Whether Scotland is relevant to the English or not the point is free education should be for all not just for the minority that happen to live in the right country. Greenstiles has not a chance of higher education here unless he has a fortune or has family that has a fortune, it's shit but it's reality. only the seriously well off will have any chance of a Uni degree as my 8 year old says. he will never go to uni as he does not want to be lumbered with debt, and I didn't even suggest he might be he just got it from school. Maybe he'll join his brother in the Marines, at least his brother isn't lumbered with huge unsecured debts and is well paid.

Alison

Don't you even have a clue how much a GP earns?

This is complete rubbish and scaremongering.

I am against loans rather than grants, but there is a point where making things up just irks me.

I'm not making it up the government are planing on selling off student loans, and the companies that buy them will want the money back, it most definitely is the beginning of the end of affordable higher education for anyone but the very well off. I would love my children to have every opportunity for higher education, but at what cost is that going to be to them.

Alison

Isaac_AG":1edkje2j said:
Funny I have a student loan from 1990ish that I defer every year, I can defer it now but in a couple of years if I don't pay it off there will be no deferment no low interest rate, they'll arrive with their vans and insist if I don't pay now I'll have everything removed, and I don't have a lot to spare :facepalm: but they'll take it anyway despite my protestations to pay it monthly, maybe you'd say that's just tuff and I should have paid from the start, I just didn't earn enough after and have been on a pittance when I have earned, but soon it will come to not a case of you earning but whether your husband has an income of anything from JSA or real money, you won't escape

Alison

Have you actually contacted the SLC for advice?

Why on earth should your husband's earnings not be scrutinised when they assess your household for repayment?

Greenstiles> Good to hear you have access to training. Agencies like Social Workline are very good in regards to supporting staff in gaining qualifications. It would be worthwhile joining up with relevant agencies in order to top up your hours here and there.

Isaac_AG":nomcr2kf said:
Mad myth that it's even going to be low interest for the foreseeable future,
Who says that? With rates where they are it's inevitable that they will rise in the medium term. How far and how fast we don't know, but there will be fallout, guaranteed.

by the time my 13 year old is in Uni it'll be 2000% on the cheap student loans,
Really? 2000%?

there will be no NHS as we are living too long and expect far, far to much, we are expecting multi, multi billions to keep us, when there is hardly enough to keep hospital cleaners in jobs
The role of the NHS is NOT to keep people in employment. Although it's one of the things it is quite good at.

your basic graduate Drs will be £150,000+ in debt and expected to pay £150+ every week to try to cover debts just to become graduates never mind further training, I'm probably underestimating that, it's probably more like £300-400 a week if not a lot more.
You know GPs earn something around £100k/yr? That's £2k of our money every week before tax. A few hundred quid to repay us taxpayers funding their right to take £100K/yr from us is more than reasonable.

free education should be for all not just for the minority that happen to live in the right country.
Firstly as I alluded to above, it's not free. Secondly why should I pay for some C grade plonker get a 2:2 in media studies with next to no chance of landing a graduate level job?

'Higher' education should be run like immigration (should be). We need doctors, teachers, research scientists etc. We should fund them. We do not need 1 in 2 school leavers going to yooni to gain some pointless degree in photography, theatre studies, journalism etc. Education based on need, not the whims of 17 year olds and crap pseudo-universities providing cheap courses.

:facepalm: 'Higher' education should be run like immigration (should be). We need doctors, teachers, research scientists etc. We should fund them. We do not need 1 in 2 school leavers going to yooni to gain some pointless degree in photography, theatre studies, journalism etc. Education based on need, not the whims of 17 year olds and crap pseudo-universities providing cheap courses.

REALLY :facepalm:

Let's out it this way, the present government is selling off all sorts of things like http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 18029.html and continue to prop up a financial and political system that clearly has failed miserably, education to a higher level facilitates all sectors of society to integrate successfully. A parent with a degree may not directly utilise it within the workplace but pass on knowledge and assurity of education to their children.

Facepalm all you like but you might want to learn to quote before you do.

I am aware of the arguments for having a degree aside from the straight academic benefit. I would however suggest that that is a luxury a bust state cannot afford, and that we should be striving for demand based education.

Universities could offer courses in canal building but if we don't plan to build any canals there's not a lot of point is there? A bit of pragmatism is preferable to some idealistic abstract about integrating with society.

If we are all educated to a 'higher' level then it isn't really higher at all is it? It's the standard. And if we have lots (as we do) of graduates in call centres etc I'd suggest that is doing nothing for their well being or integration to society. They would feel rightly that society has fncked them over. Well actually it was TB with his arbitrary 50% target but either way they're not going to be too happy.

Latest posts

Back