Got a job ...kind of

greenstiles

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Been doing a lot of volunteering and courses while wife working........long story short i start bank support with people with mental health/drug/ ex prison etc etc next week, also been offered some work at a place i've volunteered at for a while similar clients.......been a long year and a half i can tell you !

Nice one fella!

Working bank is excellent for an 'in' until a full time post comes up. Will you be able to access training towards a qualification? The new academic year starts soon, so perhaps think about starting some formal training.

highlandsflyer":rb4ismvw said:
Nice one fella!

Working bank is excellent for an 'in' until a full time post comes up. Will you be able to access training towards a qualification? The new academic year starts soon, so perhaps think about starting some formal training.

Formal education tends to cost shit loads these day's, when I did my A' Levels in the late 80's an A'Level was £30 now it's like £430 a term :roll: These day's it's in house training or apprenticeships which tend not to lead to any academic qualification and where your paid a pittance for going. so if you've managed to get on the ladder and can work your way up brilliant and I hope you achieve your goals, well done mate :D :D

Mental health is such a complicated minefield but I know, not being suggestive, you have some experience which will help you so much as well as those you deal with.

Alison

There is no such thing as working your way up now in support work. You need the qualifications to get anywhere, so it is best to start looking at formal training. Student loans are available.

highlandsflyer":gj4pq5bx said:
There is no such thing as working your way up now in support work. You need the qualifications to get anywhere, so it is best to start looking at formal training. Student loans are available.

But for how long? with the government selling off existing loans to private companies this idea of not having to pay till you earn enough is seconds away from becoming a myth, just like the NHS. I was listening to Dr. Philip Hammond on Breakfast news saying he does not expect the NHS to be there in his dotage, he's in his 50's and neither will cheap student loans. It's fine at the mo if your Scottish but here they are as obsolete as the Dodo.

Alison

The only difference is that loans are used to cover the fees as well in England. They are still low interest and income dependent for repayment.

When it comes to social work or medical training there is no alternative to formal training.

highlandsflyer":3ktib67i said:
The only difference is that loans are used to cover the fees as well in England. They are still low interest and income dependent for repayment.

When it comes to social work or medical training there is no alternative to formal training.

As I said that's a complete myth these day's you sign your life away, the government sells your loan to the private sector and they demand it here and now wether your on £65 a week or a £1065, it won't matter, student loans are as secure now as a door to door loan, I'd be better off getting a loan off the gypsies that have camped out on the A64 than a government student loan these days, higher ed is now for the rich and wealthy not for even the lower middle class :shock: people will be coming out of uni with exceptionally high loans that will be sold off and they will end up bankrupt before they are 30.

I heard that education was still free for the born and bred Scott.

Alison

Big deal if they raise the interest a little on older loans. No one could have anticipated the rate of interest being so low.

It is rubbish about them having the due amounts demanded though, the repayment rate is not increasing, nor is the income related aspect changing.

Scotland has a different system of education entirely, so what we do here is not really relevant.

Scott who?

highlandsflyer":1x2gecfg said:
Big deal if they raise the interest a little on older loans. No one could have anticipated the rate of interest being so low.

It is rubbish about them having the due amounts demanded though, the repayment rate is not increasing, nor is the income related aspect changing.

Scotland has a different system of education entirely, so what we do here is not really relevant.

Scott who?

Mad myth that it's even going to be low interest for the foreseeable future, by the time my 13 year old is in Uni it'll be 2000% on the cheap student loans, when sold off you'll be lucky if you get Wonga interest rates, and there will be no NHS as we are living too long and expect far, far to much, we are expecting multi, multi billions to keep us, when there is hardly enough to keep hospital cleaners in jobs :roll: I'm sorry your living in fairy land if you think student's in England will be any better off than your average tramp when they are £50-60,000 in debt, and that's just your basic graduate Drs will be £150,000+ in debt and expected to pay £150+ every week to try to cover debts just to become graduates never mind further training, I'm probably underestimating that, it's probably more like £300-400 a week if not a lot more.

Whether Scotland is relevant to the English or not the point is free education should be for all not just for the minority that happen to live in the right country. Greenstiles has not a chance of higher education here unless he has a fortune or has family that has a fortune, it's shit but it's reality. only the seriously well off will have any chance of a Uni degree as my 8 year old says. he will never go to uni as he does not want to be lumbered with debt, and I didn't even suggest he might be he just got it from school. Maybe he'll join his brother in the Marines, at least his brother isn't lumbered with huge unsecured debts and is well paid.

Alison

Back