kona lava dome restoration

Thanks for the info. I've actually already bought a Trailbright unit. It looks to be nice quality with deep anodising and accurate machining. Also has a very silky feel.obviously time and mileage will be the ultimate judge.

I'm having a smilar problem with my Lava Dome.
I love the frame so have bought some Rock Shox xc32's as my old Pace forks were ruined.
The xc32's i've bought seem to be tapered slightly. :facepalm: - I currently have a 1 1/8" FSA headset. - Really annoying as i was hoping to finish putting her together to get out in the sun this weekend.

Do i just need to buy a 1.5" lower headset cup?
What size do i need to get to fit the headtube?

I think its a 1997 model.
Any help greatly recived.

If you've bought a fork with a tapered steerer, it's never going to fit in a Lava Dome with a non-tapered 1 1/8" head tube. A 1 1/2" lower cup isn't going to fit in the headtube.

This is why having loads of different headset "standards" is stupid.

Sorry, a slight mis-measurement there. Its a very slight taper - 28.6mm to 30mm or so - Either way my crown race wont fit :(

Any suggestions?
Thanks for the reply

Forks steerer's usually flare slightly at the crown so that the race fits snugly. If the crown race isn't a split type then it's not uncommon to have to use some force to get it fitted fully. I use a piece of sink waste pipe which slides over the steerer and allows me to whack crown races into place without causing any damage.

The XC32 doesn't have a 1.5 to 1 1/8 steerer, it'll just be that you need to give the crown race a good whack to fit it, you could try heating it up before fitting if it's really tight.

I've given it a few bashes with a hammer with no success. I might take it to the LBS to see what they think.
At least it sounds like the fork will fit my frame :) thanks for the replys

Thanks. I've tried knocking it down with a screwdriver and a hammer with no luck, maybe i need to get a split type crown race. I'll see what the LBS have/can suggest.

Thanks.

P.s. Kona_jelly, any pictures of your bike?

If you've got a decent saw or dremel and if the headset uses a sealed catridge bearing you can split the race.

Back