Newbie with a Tom Avon barn find, and lots of questions...

Re: Newbie with a Tom Avon barn find, and lots of questions.

Annoying thing is that as a last resort they (previous owner) could have used caustic soda and taken the stuck post out easy enough and only damaged the paint.

Feel a little sorry for the seller. He just seemed happy to pass it on and was oblivious cause he knows nothing about bikes, and now I've told him about the issue and sent pictures.

Thanks for the info/help so far. Got a 14 mile charity ride Sunday, debating taking this for its first ride. I'm due a knee op soon so struggling fitness wise so wondering if the bike is a wise choice.

Also wondering already if this is more of a project then I can manage. That repair is always going tho be on my mind...

If the handlebar stem is not corroded solid put it down at least an inch, it's nearly falling out.

Yep done that tonight. Moved nice and easy. Turned the bars too.

Looks to be a touring frame. I'd say the forks are non original too as well as the canti bosses being missing the mudguard and rack eyes are also missing.

Lots of potential though and worth some investment IMHO

Just as an aside, Back in the 70's there were a few Tom Avon's around the Time Trial Scene. Very neat frames, fastback usually with very short fork rake and wheelbase....... classy :)

I just assumed there was a Mr Thomas Avon building them somewhere :D

Shaun

the cycle in question was made by tom avon in the chessels bedminster bristol in the early 80's. if you look on the bottom bracket the number denotes the year it was made and the forks look genuine for the frame. it's original paintwork as i was the sprayer for them. any question plzz email me as i knew them really well and still has contact with them. tom avon was not the builders name it was steve witchurch along with garry harris. with the seat clamp repair it can be done properly if needed and it can be reprayed with original transfers as i still do them & i think i have some transfers in my stock. i work for argos cycles been there since 1979 and we are based in bristol and we/i done all the spraying for tom avon/wessex cycles back in the day

Re:

The last post, delboyt's, reminds me why I love this Forum. Wonderful knowledge! All I wish is we had a delboyt for the Ian May thread... Ah well.

Re: Re:

Diamant_Don":3hpbmq0y said:
The last post, delboyt's, reminds me why I love this Forum. Wonderful knowledge! All I wish is we had a delboyt for the Ian May thread... Ah well.

put the ian may link in and i will have a look

Had a look at my old cycling mags from the late 70's and here's Mike Wilcox on a Tom Avon....... classy frame as I mentioned :)

And Mike is still about :D http://www.kingstonwheelers.co.uk/mikewillcox.shtml

Shaun

xghzsk.jpg

Back