Ribble R4 Frame ????

IGSB27

Dirt Disciple
This is my Ribble R4 19" Frame supposedly 17 years old
Can some one tell me about this frame it's history / people in the bike community general perception of this frame and what type of bike it is best suited to.

Will this frame make a good Mtb with front suspenchen lockout fork and 26" fat offrode tiers ?????

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 933
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 931
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 929
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 934
Re: Ribble R4 Frame ???

Ribble have had their frames made overseas for a long time, much like most manufacturers.

That looks mid 90's and pretty well put together, so I'd say it was 17 years old and will build into a decent mtb.

It won't take modern 120 or 140mm travel suspension forks, but if you get some retro forks with around 80mm travel I think you'll be OK.

The R4 frame used to sell for c£175 and was made from double-butted 7005. A 1997 advert says that with full XT and a Judy SL, it would have been £1,275 and quite a nice bike at a bargain price.

It would be interesting to know what it weighs, but on the basis of Total Bike's test of a smaller frame, I would guess c1.65kg for a size 19 (allow 100g for the headset cups and seat clamp). That would suggest a xc-level tubeset spec, rather than anything more heavy-duty.

The Total Bike test criticised it for having over-fast handling, but that's actually a good thing because they tested it with a P2 fork to get the price down, so the twitchy handling suggests that it needed a longer fork. Which is what you want to fit.

I don't know whether there was any link, but soon after that ignorant review, Ribble stopped offering mtb frames. I think they have continued to have a good reputation for road frames.

To be honest, you won't get much appreciation on Retrobike for riding a Ribble R4, but that's because people on here seem to think that bling-type decals are more important than what the frame actually is. They could tell you how much better their frame is than yours, if only they could catch you up.

Anthony":3oj0u5oy said:
To be honest, you won't get much appreciation on Retrobike for riding a Ribble R4, but that's because people on here seem to think that bling-type decals are more important than what the frame actually is. They could tell you how much better their frame is than yours, if only they could catch you up.
PMSL - That is so true.

I thought Ribble still (quietly) offered mtb's, I saw an alloy R7 last year in the FoD and it was a really nice bike, the owner had just got it and was delighted.

Thank you for all this info I'm currently in the proses of biding on Rock Shox Judy SL front suspenchen fork on ebay.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 867

"They could do with a service..." Quite.

To be fair, the 97 Judy SL isn't anything like as bad as the 96, but you could still find that this fork could be very difficult (and uneconomic) to bring to life. It does have a steel spring and the dampers are better than the 96 ones (but far from perfect), but the stanchions are often gone (and irreplaceable) and the elastomer is probably gone (but is replaceable). A Z2 Bomber could be a much more practical proposition IMHO. But then again, the Judy SL is yellow, we can't get away from that.

Yes I am open to suggestions I'm in no way well versed in bikes / parts make or what is considered better best or poor .....

It would be extremely helpful if anyone has any suggestions on what front Fork would be best fitting to accompany my Frame ?????

I'd have to include personal bias in my reply, as I've always been a Marzocchi fan, they have, after all, been making suspension an awful long time.

Bombers would be my choice, or maybe something like Manitou SX, although I don't know what they are like for seals and other spares.

What do you think of this fork in relation to my Frame£110

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 836
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 836
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 836
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 836
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 836

Should be a very nice match. The Marzocchis are a good fork, with excellent spares availability.

Back