Unofficial retrobike allotment thread....

Here is part one of the red currant crop. These have been simmered and broken down and will be left to drip tonight. I'll convert this into red currant jelly tomorrow.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 237
Iwasgoodonce":1mf8pa5l said:
Here is part one of the red currant crop. These have been simmered and broken down and will be left to drip tonight. I'll convert this into red currant jelly tomorrow.

That's quite a fruity sight – looks incredibly healthy.

The History Man":1xxyijqg said:
I take it you know all about purple foods?

:p Every time I think I need to go to the doctor then I remember !

I'm thinking of giving up half my plot as I don't have time to do it properly, I would rather do half well than a full one poorly, but this may all change

groovyblueshed":1hwlq52v said:
, thinking carefully about food and planning menus for lunches and dinners for a week ahead. This further encouraged us on our journey into self-sufficiency, embracing 'off-grid' thinking and towards cutting down our dependency on supermarkets. A major leap forwards for us was getting chickens three years back. We endured the crank hippy "Good Life" jibes, but for us it was about research, being more informed, living in a smarter less dependent way. I think it helped with managing and repurposing our funds better.

Having reached that 'certain' age that everyone else seems to be arriving at it is noticeable that my eating habits are changing, that is a lot less :( The good lady already plans meals carefully, so we are both hoping that we will begin to rethink how and what we eat and end up with an even healthier diet! While 'the boy' takes over my mantle of house-dustbin...

I've changed my mind about watering! I appear to have a Hawes constantly in my hand :LOL:

grumpycommuter":1l742zin said:
groovyblueshed":1l742zin said:
, thinking carefully about food and planning menus for lunches and dinners for a week ahead. This further encouraged us on our journey into self-sufficiency, embracing 'off-grid' thinking and towards cutting down our dependency on supermarkets. A major leap forwards for us was getting chickens three years back. We endured the crank hippy "Good Life" jibes, but for us it was about research, being more informed, living in a smarter less dependent way. I think it helped with managing and repurposing our funds better.

Having reached that 'certain' age that everyone else seems to be arriving at it is noticeable that my eating habits are changing, that is a lot less :( The good lady already plans meals carefully, so we are both hoping that we will begin to rethink how and what we eat and end up with an even healthier diet! While 'the boy' takes over my mantle of house-dustbin...

I've changed my mind about watering! I appear to have a Hawes constantly in my hand :LOL:

Not a Keeley Hawes then, I'm assuming. "Fire up the Quattro!" ;) May be I'm on the wrong track...

I've reinstated the hose for watering our home-based mini allotment. The outside tap is located by the front door, so trekking back and forth through the house with cans was becoming a right chore. On our actual allotment, it's not too bad now as the council have put a new dip tank in near to our plot.

I'm afraid I've reached that certain age too. My colleagues at work are mostly of that certain age too. Our jokes, popular culture quotes and references have the effect of tumble weed on those in the office who are a couple of decades younger. The talk is of tablets, diets, faddy fasting regimes and gym visits. I refuse to succumb to the faddy diets and gyms, but unfortunately I've got to keep taking the tablets. I can't face eating large amounts, so it's smaller amounts of healthy food more often now. And it's 'pedals of fury' and good honest outdoor work on the allotment or in the garden, instead of the gym.

As time seems to be increasingly tight and funds need to be stretched, we usually plan out 2-3 days of meals, doing something that will make a dinner/supper, then packed lunches for the next couple of days. The trick is varying the serving suggestions so you don't get bored by the 3rd day.

Lumos....perfect for your water needs!

Howard...not the quattro sadly, i misled you with poor spelling!

One of these types of Haws -

PR0000200981_card_lg.jpg

Back