Black Country Steel

NeilM":2jhgaxbz said:
It's looking good, the colour is excellent, but I'd watch it riding the practice track around the garden.

That washing line looks at just the right height to garrotte you.

Ha, didn't notice that the track had showed up in the photos :D .

That was "installed" last weekend for the eldest daughter although I've put quite a few laps in myself towing my youngest on the tag along. Will be mowing it out in a few minutes :( .

Will get later back about the dropouts later Andrew.

We_are_Stevo you do need a yellow bike, I'll be building this with mainly silver stuff so you can check out your options.

Rear dropout measures around 132/3mm, I had a 135mm rear wheel in the frame before it got painted and that's the way I'll be going.

Something else that you asked me about Andrew is the frame number. 723762 is stamped on the bb shell, the first five numbers are stamped quite hard but the last digit (2) is very lightly stamped and almost unreadable.

I also weighed the bare frame and forks once back from powdercoating, frame 2.262kg and forks 1.041kg, just in case anyone was wondering.....

weeman_mtb":tc9oqrpc said:
Rear dropout measures around 132/3mm, I had a 135mm rear wheel in the frame before it got painted and that's the way I'll be going.

Something else that you asked me about Andrew is the frame number. 723762 is stamped on the bb shell, the first five numbers are stamped quite hard but the last digit (2) is very lightly stamped and almost unreadable.

I also weighed the bare frame and forks once back from powdercoating, frame 2.262kg and forks 1.041kg, just in case anyone was wondering.....

That's interesting, mine is 723687, so quite close. 130mm rear spacing. Looking forward to seeing this built up!

Cheers,
Andrew

I've been building the Orbit a bit at a time when I get chance and on Monday evening I completed it.

It's not quite the finished article as it's on borrowed wheels from my odd wheels collection, I eventually want to get it on a pair with DX hubs to match the rest of the groupset. Also the pedals are the first pair that I layed my hands on to get it riding, may change those too.

I've been around the block on it and to work and back and I really enjoy the ride, it fits me so well. The handling feels a little strange when I'm up out of the saddle climbing, I put this down to it having a much longer stem than I'm used to.

Really hoping to get this one out at the Peaks ride this in September for a proper test.

Appologies if anyone is looking at this thread for progress on the Zinn, I thought I'd concentrate on one first. Multitasking just doesn't work for me, the half a dozen or so unfinished builds I have on the go are testament to this. I may or may not get around to the build soon but another large non-bike project is looming on the horizon.

Some pics of the Orbit....

Attachments

• Orbit Done 5.JPG
    Orbit Done 5.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 224
  • Orbit Done 4.JPG
    Orbit Done 4.JPG
    60.6 KB · Views: 223
  • Orbit Done 3.JPG
    Orbit Done 3.JPG
    147.8 KB · Views: 223
  • Orbit Done 2.JPG
    Orbit Done 2.JPG
    159.7 KB · Views: 224
  • Orbit Done 1.JPG
    Orbit Done 1.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 224
Looks wonderful, but did you really have to use purple... really?

Period correct I suppose, but... purple, it's just so.... purple. :facepalm:

Lovely bike and certainly makes me regret selling mine a bit. Tend to agree with the purple comment though. Would've looked nice if you added a few blue bits perhaps to tie in with the grips.

NeilM":q5h7vmqs said:
Looks wonderful, but did you really have to use purple... really?

Period correct I suppose, but... purple, it's just so.... purple. :facepalm:
It was quite accidental, I just put the quick release jobby in to hold the seatpost in temporarily and it just sort of spiralled from there.

I'll try to leave at that and will definitely not buy that big purple chainring that GTSteve has for sale (god I'm so tempted, must resist, must not succumb to my bad taste again!)

The grips are also purple raidan73, they just look blue in the photo.

Ah, well in that case nice job :D

Back