Experimental Kona Hahanna 1998 project...birth of a fire god

Re: Experimental Kona Hahanna 1998 project...birth of a fire

I love this i'm building one up for a town bike at the moment. So maybe drops?!

Funnily enough I have a crazy drop bar project inspired by this thread and the general drop mtb one.

I put drops on Beast and it was the best thing I did. I prefer the ergonomics of curled drops and the ability to chop and change hand position. But that is for mostly on-road/light dirt

spwal: haha fun... I was told by the bike shops in town what I was doing was impossible, except for one, the chap who threaded the forks, who was like 'it'll be fast' :). In fact I owe him a viewing..

I think the pre '98 frames, being smaller gauge tubing, are probably lighter again (not that this one felt very weighty at all when stripped down). To be honest, Aries is not*that* heavy, its just that the old '93 is very light for what it is. I once picked up a friend's alloy-framed racer-type bike, and was surprised at how heavy it seemed (to me). It's all relative though. As I said earlier, I'm going to do a doom-laden fixie that will cause all the death to happen, and attempt to make it as light as possible...

...to be honest, I'm not sure why I put gears on this one. I think I just wanted to fill all the cable guides up, and so it became a full on road bike thingy. But it was the first time I'd ever built a bike solo, and I didn't even know how to adjust my gears before hand. So I was cursing everything at one point. Apart from a straight restoration of one of these, I think I'll mostly go for single speed here on in...except I have a Bianchi 700c hanging up with a pretty campag 9 speed cassette on it..I might succumb to temptation. I mean, I could just put a rear mech on it I suppose. Might be...strange. Not thought that through at all. Really the only stupid thing about the gearing on Aries was the pull direction on the front mech. That's the other thing with the '98 frame, its top pull whereas '93-4 are bottom pull. They seemed to gravitate towards top pull on later versions. Again, I was clueless when I began...the joys of learning!

Love the road kona looks pretty cool.

My dad's got a hahanna which I believe is 14" which he has owned from practically new and hardly used so in pretty good condition apart from rusty spokes, all parts original, let me know if you're interested and i'll see if he wants to sell it.

Mike

Latest posts

Back