Orange clockwork serial numbers

Anthony":3mwfcbuk said:
groovyblueshed":3mwfcbuk said:
Hi, mine is A319 40163 – can anyone help suss this one out?
Are you sure the 4 isn't actually an A? If so, some of the earlier ones were in that format, with A3 presumably being a department within A. The 1 seems to be the year and the 9 the month, although they all seem to be 9s so that might be in doubt (unless they were all built at the same time, which is quite possible). That would make it a 1992 model.

Sorry Anthony, no wonder I've been confused for so long :facepalm:

I've been going by the original invoice from the shop where I bought the frame and forks. The paint was quite thick in the BB shell underside area, so it was always hard to decipher, and the number on the invoice seemed correct. I guess the shop owner transposed it wrongly at the time.

I've rechecked the frame number again on the bb shell. Since having the frame stripped, cleaned and powder coated recently, the number is much clearer now. Because of the lack of clarity before, I'm afraid I've always assumed the invoice was correct. :facepalm:

The actual number is A309 A0163.

Would this translate as September 1993?

thanks for your help,
Howard.

I've seen several other numbers in the format A309Annnn and they seem to centre on 1990 models, so I would guess that yours must be either 1990 or 91. The format must have had a different interpretation in those days, and doesn't allow such specific dating as subsequent styles did.

There were also visual differences, so it may well be possible to date your bike if you provide a picture.

Anthony":3ngzj9uc said:
I've seen several other numbers in the format A309Annnn and they seem to centre on 1990 models, so I would guess that yours must be either 1990 or 91. The format must have had a different interpretation in those days, and doesn't allow such specific dating as subsequent styles did.

There were also visual differences, so it may well be possible to date your bike if you provide a picture.

Hi,
Couple of pics of it here before its restoration and new powder coating was done. Bought just the frame and forks, which were going spare in Rainbow Cycles, Huddersfield, back in winter 92/93. Do these help?

Attachments

• gbshed_clockwork_seatpost.jpg
    gbshed_clockwork_seatpost.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 424
  • clockwork_bb_cable_route.jpg
    clockwork_bb_cable_route.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 424
  • clockwork_groovyblueshed.jpg
    clockwork_groovyblueshed.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 424
brocklanders023":3tfabq2j said:
Looks like a 1989 or 90 to me. Frame features point that way. Have we not discussed this frame before?

Hi Brocklanders, we may well have I think – my apologies for any undue repetition on this. Having discovered a discrepancy between the receipt and frame through the stripping process, so it's just good to get a bit of further clarification.

Thanks,
H

brocklanders023":bo8akffq said:
No worries H, just thought I'd seen it before as my friend lives in Huddersfax so that reminded me.

Mmm, luvvly Uddersfax. I do occasionally miss plugging over the moors there. Used to live the other side of the hill to Orange one time.

A lot of the same questions do the rounds time and again on here probably. Have never been really sure of the frame's age or identity. It was supplied bare without decals, but was given Clockwork decals at the time. It must have been hanging about spare for quite a while.

Thanks for the advice – I'm more sure about it now.

H

It seems to be a combination of factors from different times. The shape of the frame dates it to around 1990 or 91. The decals are I think the ones that were used in 1994, so that links in with what you remembered about being given them as the frame had no decals. As far as I'm aware, the excellent F7 fork wasn't used until the C-16R of 1995, although I guess there may have been some available to shops in late 1994. I believe the Clockworks from before the C-16R always had round-crowned forks, as opposed to the H-shape of the F7.

Although the fork isn't original to the frame, you may be better off with it, as I think it has a better reputation than the Clockwork forks.

Yes, it seems it was an Orange born out of a mixed bag of spare parts. The receipt is dated 28/3/94 (not '93 as I'd thought I remembered), for a Clockwork frame (£160) and F7 forks (£15).

The chap running Rainbow Cycles at the time (Brian) seemed to have some connection with Orange. He obviously had an old frame (89-92-ish) in an obscure colour knocking about, plus some hot new F7 forks, then gave me 93/94 issue decals. That's the closest I can get really.

Just found a few old brochures on the web – there's a 93/94 P7 in white with purple-ish F7 style forks. Although they lack the true retro mtb aesthetics of the earlier 'rounded crown', the F7s have been truly excellent – very sturdy and look timeless in the polished nickel.

Time to shred it home through London's fierce streets now.

Have a good weekend all.

Howard.

Latest posts

Back