Removing Anodising

This site always amazes - when was the last time i read the word 'exothermic'????????? Sooooooooo long ago.

Thanks for giving me a 32 year old memory of chemistry class with Walter Cameron and his flying chalk!!!!

Richard

p.s. i have oven cleaner at the ready!!!!

Will do, there is an excellent thread about this written by Kettlo but i could not find it - maybe someone who can work the search function could provide the link (again!).

Richard

Hey SWijland, have you tried the HG Oven Cleaner they sell at Praxis in The Netherlands? I've used it in the past with decent results... Seems to be lighter in lye content compared to Easy Off so it takes more patience, but in the end did deliver.

Will try that. Thought you needed something with lye in it to do the trick, but would be happy to try something else.

I figured I'd just give HG a try on an old campy crank with a crack in it because it was the only instant gratification solution I had at hand... soaked it for 10-15 minutes, but didn't expect it to turn black (freaked me out at first). But no worries, it rinsed off with some lukewarm water & soap. After that I was able to clearly see where the anodized layer had been removed, which made subsequent sanding/polishing a cinch.

DaveB1":1ygs9fp4 said:
soaked it for 10-15 minutes, but didn't expect it to turn black (freaked me out at first). But no worries, it rinsed off with some lukewarm water & soap.
Leave it any longer and the black turns into a hard carbon like substance and then its a swine to get off!

You need to keep an eye the stuff, an old stiff toothbrush will help get into any names/lines etc.

Back