Lights Are So Cheap Now, So Why On Earth..?

I dropped her home. She was a dick on this occasion, but she is normally top quality.

Leffe has gone back up to £2.50 a bottle. Still a good price!

Of course paying a lot of money buys excellent lights, but the big change lately is how little money buys you adequate lighting.

technodup":kvajjvfq said:
videojetman":kvajjvfq said:
technodup":kvajjvfq said:
Lights are unnecessary.

I totally agree with this in the daylight.
Daytime or night-time they're pointless. Like helmets. Just another stick for the safety police to hit us with.

I doubt I could ride the South Downs Way at night without lights, in fact I doubt I could ride the effing Cuckoo Trail at night without lights, so your above comment is perhaps a tad fatuous?

Ditto your comment on helmets considering GM's most recent thread...

...but then perhaps this is just the response you were hoping to illicit and I took the bait! :facepalm:

We_are_Stevo":12fex6e5 said:
I doubt I could ride the South Downs Way at night without lights, in fact I doubt I could ride the effing Cuckoo Trail at night without lights, so your above comment is perhaps a tad fatuous?

Ditto your comment on helmets considering GM's most recent thread...

...but then perhaps this is just the response you were hoping to illicit and I took the bait! :facepalm:

I had the same compulsion but felt it was just said to wind people up :roll:

Alison

We_are_Stevo":3drr2qfu said:
Not so, I was only considering city riding where we already pay handsomely for lit roads.

I don't do night riding in the wilds.

I should say I now remember when I used to commute by bike I had a rear LED light. But I wasn't knocked off so clearly it was unnecessary.

technodup":3ctjrbbj said:
I should say I now remember when I used to commute by bike I had a rear LED light. But I wasn't knocked off so clearly it was unnecessary.
I'm struggling to see the logic in this statement.

There are indeed a lot of urban riders who are complete numpties, a bike for them is the cheapest form of transport and any expense is deemed unnecessary. Money is needed for booze and fags mate.

Some of the things I've seen in the last few years:

A man riding round the South Circular one handed, whilst holding onto a small child with the other.

Someone took a corner, at speed, at a set of traffic lights, there was no tyre on the front rim at all.

Lads on bikes, riding a crowded canal tow path, both front and back brakes disconnected, taco style rims.

Ditto on an A road, feet dragging on the back wheel to brake (sort of).

Dark skinned gent, mid-winter at night, dressed totally in black clothing, no lights. Ninja survival level 10!

videojetman":18mfiizp said:
technodup":18mfiizp said:
I'm struggling to see the logic in this statement.
Seems logical to me.

I like to keep my bike nice but I don't ride around with foam lagging on my frame tubes.

Back