Experimental Kona Hahanna 1998 project...birth of a fire god

Re: Experimental Kona Hahanna 1998 project...birth of a fire

Plus one":6s8dwliw said:
Run for your lives...... It's the forum police !!!!!!!!!!!! ^ :LOL:

The original post was like a wet dream for me ;)

carbon, expensive? time to get the drill out!!!

Ha! I signed up just to post this comment... This is pretty cool. Not for me, but pretty damned cool nonetheless. Hats off to you, Sir!

As a matter of fact, I have an 18" Kona Hahanna 1998 sitting out the garden, under some tarpaulin, waiting for some love! I don't know much about mountain bike componentry, but I'd love to do the bike up for some decent action. Which suspension fork size and stem would I need for this model?

Is it 1 1/8"? Are there any modern forks available? The RST's that came with it are about 80mm and probably gone by now!

Would appreciate the help and guidance, especially from the OP if you're willing...

Welcome Rich :D

Your best bet is to post your questions in the Retro MTB Chat section or if you're here for the long haul then get some photo's and start your own build thread. Here's the link to the 98 Hahanna in the archives http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 9.jpg.html
Your forks/stem will be 1 1/8".

RichCollinsUK":32m5od5o said:
Ha! I signed up just to post this comment... This is pretty cool. Not for me, but pretty damned cool nonetheless. Hats off to you, Sir!

As a matter of fact, I have an 18" Kona Hahanna 1998 sitting out the garden, under some tarpaulin, waiting for some love! I don't know much about mountain bike componentry, but I'd love to do the bike up for some decent action. Which suspension fork size and stem would I need for this model?

Is it 1 1/8"? Are there any modern forks available? The RST's that came with it are about 80mm and probably gone by now!

Would appreciate the help and guidance, especially from the OP if you're willing...

raidan73":14pv6cgj said:
Welcome Rich :D

Your best bet is to post your questions in the Retro MTB Chat section or if you're here for the long haul then get some photo's and start your own build thread. Here's the link to the 98 Hahanna in the archives http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... 9.jpg.html
Your forks/stem will be 1 1/8".

RichCollinsUK":14pv6cgj said:

Thanks for the welcome! I love this forum already!

I'll take your advice, I'll get some pictures of it today.

Just picked up on latest replies, it doesn't prod me every time someone replies for some reason..

Yes as has already been said your forks will be 1 1/8; however the earlier frames are 1", for anyone else looking.

Just as a follow up, the bike is running beautifully; I'd ride it more if it wasn't that I was afraid of where/how I locked it up. My only criticism is that it has probably worked out heavier than my Joe Murray '93 in all its original MTB livery, but it's smooth, responsive, fast, and takes so little effort to tootle around on I'm more than happy (in fact ridiculously happy...dog-sticking-head-out-of-car-window-with-tongue-lolling-about happy). It does make the '93 feel slow, so I've done my job well...

Latest additions have been as superb Lionworks bell, can't recommend enough, from http://www.lionbellworks.co.uk/ all brass and stainless steel and LOUD. I clamped it to the side of the frame, not the bars, its fits very well. A picture might happen at some point. Also have obtained some Crud Roadracer II mudguards, which of course will require some 'tweaking' to fit (good clearances, just my frame geometry an issue!), but I'm used to it..

The longer it sits next to me at my desk (it's practically an armrest) the more its going to get things added when I have pennies to spend on fleabay, ha.

I clearly should have consulted you before attempting my build.

My frankenstein errand/beach bike....saved the from the parts bin abyss, the Hahanna lives on.

Highlights include:

Blow-torched seat tube
Single 48 tooth ring
non-operational chain-tensioning LX rear mech (manual adjustment)
super cush gel grandmother seat
kore super wide motocross bar
xt/lx wheelset mavic 217 rims
ritchy 1.0 tom slick tires

superlight and rides like the wind! my first skinny tire bike and I love it.

I am just looking for a titanium bolt kit or annodized pulley wheels to complete the build. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• P1050960.JPG
    P1050960.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 750
  • P1050962.JPG
    P1050962.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 750
  • P1050961.JPG
    P1050961.JPG
    88.6 KB · Views: 750

I shim the seat tube with duct tape because the seat post is too skinny. Works great.

I want a honker horn or bell for it.

spwal":3tbmbhtg said:
I shim the seat tube with duct tape because the seat post is too skinny. Works great.

Seriously? :shock:

Latest posts

Back