New Old Bike

Here's the 1964 catalogue, but as usual nothing quite matches up: http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/Dawes-64/

Well worthy of a good respray, it looks brush painted so hopefully you'll find better traces of the original paint down the seat tube, head tube or bottom bracket shell. The colour will eliminate some of the models it could be.

That catalogue is fascinating you're right there's a couple that come close but not quite! Grrr lol.
Further investigation today has led to discovery of a number on the rear non drive side dropout which looks like FS8273.
Anyone know anything about the number?
The original paint work looks like it had a turquoise head and seat tube with the rest being a dark green. The lugs have been yellow at some point but this was on top of the dark green so whether the lugs were hand painted in the factory or afterwards I don't know.
Interestingly the bar ends say "Dawes bulb holder inside"
The cranks says Wilson.

Just come across something on the net thats saying the head badge belongs to a Dawes 'Red Feather' ?

poppy":2mrkpq4h said:
Just come across something on the net thats saying the head badge belongs to a Dawes 'Red Feather' ?

It could well be a Red Feather and the rear derailleur looks something like a Campagnolo Gran Sport although they are usually heavily embossed on the front plate. It would be worth having a good look on the back of the derailleur and see it there's any numbers. I've heard of the Dawes bulb holder used on the Galaxy models, and nice little trick place to keep a spare lightbulb. They could well have used it on other models.

The frame numbers for Dawes aren't a lot of help, they lost all their records in a big fire. It more a process of elimination, I've got some other early Dawes catalogues so I'll have a look through and see if the colours lead to anything :)

kermitgreenkona88":21cn1hun said:
Absolutely stunning find will look amazing with a little refinishing :D :D :cool: :cool:

As to the rear dérailleur I played a hunch and look on Disraeli Gears and I believe it is a Cyclo Benelux sport P2 ;)

http://www.disraeligears.co.uk/Site/Cyc ... ltered.jpg

Well found :) I was thinking it should be a Benelux given the Benelux lever but hadn't found a match. That kind of rules out it being a Red Feather which had the Campag Gran Sport derailleurs. Not had chance to look through a few 60s catalogues I've got yet, but the colours and gears should give a result.

I'll be back :)

Yep thats an exact match! Thank you.
Although I kind of liked the idea of it being a red feather jjust because I like the name :).
Thanks guys I really do appreciate your help.As much as I enjoy the research I don't know anything about vintage bikes

Well no real matches :facepalm:

You can rule out a Galaxy because you have no braze on cable guide across the rear seat stays. I'm thinking because you have braze on brake cable guides on the crossbar that we are a little later maybe second half of the 60s.

Dawes did increase the number of models in the late 60s which doesn't help. You could look through here though: http://www.flickr.com/groups/dawes_galaxy/pool/

There's plenty of possible's like a later Star Realmrider or the Dawes Fox :) but not sure when the Fox went into the catalogue.

I was looking at that again earlier. It hasn't got the embossed handlebars though but these might have been added later?
I have been removing the thick silver paint and think that if I'm extremely careful I might be able to save the original paint, If so I'm tempted just to seal it with a couple of coats of laquer rather than a respray. It's a bit rough in places but the patina adds to the bike's charm.

Back