Skills Courses...

Skills Courses - would you?

• Eh, what are they?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pfft, I don't need anyone to tell me how to ride a bike..

Votes: 9 32.1%
  • Yeah, I'd give one a go.

Votes: 19 67.9%

• Total voters
Friend and I went on a 2 day course in Wales last year (www.forestfreeride.co.uk). Price included 3 night bunk barn accommodation. Thoroughly enjoyed it and would have no hesitation going back. Went midweek so friend and I were the only ones which of course meant we got undivided attention. We chose to go back to basics - surprised ourselves at how little we actually knew! As I have got older, and after a few hefty 'offs' in recent years, I was losing my bottle too easily - found the course good for rebuilding confidence. The location is a farm on which the owner has set up a number of jumps/obstacles etc. So there was no time spent riding to various locations - the relevant obstacles are all there on your doorstep. Great for coffee/ lunch stops etc.

Rob

Moved this to 98--> and then read the first post. Sorry about that.

Anyway, I've done a few courses in the past few years. Mostly to do with leading rides, but also specific skills courses.
I can highly recommend Cyclewise who are now based at Whinlatter in the Lake District.

The main benefit of such courses in my opinion, is that they allow somebody to critically analyse your riding style and approach to a variety of obstacles, terrain and technical features.
It's surprising how many bad habits you develop, especially if you've been riding for a long time.
A skilled coach can immediately spot what you are doing wrong and help you adjust your technique accordingly.

I remember after the first weekend course I did, when I got home all my local trails were suddenly much smoother and faster and I was track-standing at all the traffic lights.

Ed and Jedi are also meant to be very good.

In summary it is money very well spent.

See, that's what I'm talking about ^^^^^

I think there's either a perception of "Why would I need to do that? I can ride a bike just fine", or "I'm just an XC-type rider, that's for people who freeride, etc" - when actually any- and everyone could benefit :)

I know a few guys who have done more than one course with Ed Oxley and highly recommend him. I was going to accompany the wife on one to get her riding up a notch but no time at the moment.

I'd happily go on one of Ed Oxley's courses if it didn't involve so much time and expense to get there - I'm sure that even an old dog like me can learn new tricks. Maybe..........

If I arrived on a rigid retro bike and the instructor did not imediately start telling me thats the wrong kind of bike and I'm just being foolish then I'd be very positive about learning new skills. Are instructors likely to be judgemental about our old kit or will they work with what I have and make me a better rider ?

Go on a Jedi course. He always says "it's not the bike". Every time I've seen someone ask him what bike they should bring to a session he says it doesn't matter.

Rob Atkin":3po04eu3 said:
Go on a Jedi course. He always says "it's not the bike". Every time I've seen someone ask him what bike they should bring to a session he says it doesn't matter.
This is one of the (many) reasons I want to go to Jedi. People ask him "What bike/pedals/etc should I bring?", and he always replies with "Whatever you normally ride and want to get better on."

Back