Retrobike Touring.

Re: Retro MTB Touring.

+1 to Neil's point.

For some of us, this is the enticement to cycling.

I am, on the whole, not interested in group riding, trail centres, pissing about endlessly consulting colour charts to put bikes together.

Give me a lightweight kit, a solid over engineered bike and a sixty mile loop of wilderness terrain with some fishing and you have given me a weekend of delight!

FluffyChicken":1xfh1fvu said:
Route plan is on either Google maps or bing maps (or I gps logged it I think)
It's not the most interesting route or the comfiest route. But it is a good day out.

You could ride to Cut Gate for a warm up, head over it to Ladybower and camp there if there is a site, or just in the woods. then ride up and over to edale, up the other side and around and find some way back.

Chris knows a lot about blown old tyres.
Get yourself a large wrap of gaffer tape, not only can you fix tyres with it to keep you going, it comes in useful for all sorts. Wrap loads around your pump shaft apparently.

Inspiration Fluffs, will look into it for sure.

Neil":2h3u0lhe said:
Trebz":2h3u0lhe said:
Yet another tedious yarn from me about messing about in a tent.

Not at all - I love following these sorts of threads. This is the good stuff you get from forums.

Even if I may not easily be able to fit such things in at this point in my life, I'd maybe like to at some point, and it all goes into the noggin' as inspiration and useful tips / gotchas.

highlandsflyer":2h3u0lhe said:
+1 to Neil's point.

For some of us, this is the enticement to cycling.

I am, on the whole, not interested in group riding, trail centres, pissing about endlessly consulting colour charts to put bikes together.

Give me a lightweight kit, a solid over engineered bike and a sixty mile loop of wilderness terrain with some fishing and you have given me a weekend of delight!

Smiles.

Great comments. I'm hoping to push some level of inspiration and knowledge onto some of you guys and gals out there, I'm not one for 'Blogging' so this is as close as I'll get

I'm really getting into this short tour aspect of biking, something I have never experienced before but seem to be taking to really quickly.

I'm using the Trans Pennine Trail as a way of experimenting with kit before going a little further afield. The next ride will push things a little more.

:)

Great stuff! Have a look out for a Park Tyre Boot, ideal for the situation you describe.

Jezmellors":la3cn5jz said:
100% DEET from amazon mate, it melts their eyeballs at 50 yards.

That's a bit harsh Jez, I was thinking more along the lines of telling them a really boring story about work that would bore them into retirement.

But then.............

Jezmellors":2kpsc55j said:
100% DEET from amazon mate, it melts their eyeballs at 50 yards.

Also it dissolves some plastics, Swatch fronts for one. Be careful when applying.

Absolutely loving this thread. My Saracen adventure touring bike is now complete, and as soon a my new trailer arrives I'll be out for a night or two with the tent, and possibly a second tent of the trouser variety.

Back