1995 Cannondale M900

saulus

GT Fan
Feedback
View
I really wanted a replacement M900 for the first one I had that was stolen outside my house while locked to the fence in 2009. :evil: So a hunt on Ebay eventually produced one..from Italy(!) It was a bit of a gamble being so far away but it paid off at the relatively 'safe' price of £130 inc delivery. I sweated for 4 days until it arrived...The frame was sound, hadn't had a hard life and the bike was 'as described' by the seller.4 days from Italy for £15-take note Royal Mail! Then I found this forum... :facepalm: That was about 15 months ago.

Here's roughly what I got in the post from Italia:

It was a mix of a dodgy pressed steel chainset !?, Series 5 2001 Marz Bombers and bits of red insulation tape.

I appreciate the M series. It escaped some of the innovative quirks like the fatty headshock, has a standard 1 1/8'' headset. and missed out on the elongated chainstays. Streamlined simplicity in comparison.

Apart from a couple of exceptions I have tried to keep the gear on the bike within 95-97. There was a bit of too'ing and fro'ing with X-lite and Kore (didn't work, didn't like it) and mythering about returning to 100% rigid after sampling the comforts given by suspension, but this is what it looks like now:

SPEC:
Frame: M900 - 20'' T6061 Aluminium made in Feb '95
Fork: P-Bone 1 1/8" Aluminium

Headset: Ritchey Scuzzy Logic 1 1/8"
Stem: CODA 135mm
Handlebar: CODA Alu
Grips: Foam -unbranded
Gear levers: SACHS Wavey

Brakes: Shimano Deore BR M600
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore BR M600
Brake cables: LBS supplies

Drivetrain:
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT FD M738
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT RD M739
Derailleur Cables: LBS supplies
Cassette: Shimano HG 7 Speed
Chain: KMC
Cranks: CODA
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN5?
Pedals: Shimano SPD M535

Wheels:
Hub Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic 221
Hubs: Shimano STX RC MC33
Tyres: Michelin 2" XCR X'trem

Saddle: Selle Italia Flite
Seatpost: System components
Seatpost Binder: CODA q/r

Weight: 10.5kg / 23.1lb +/- -crudely weighed on bathroom scales tonight - will update

I will replace:
Seatpost - CODA wanted.
Saddle - CODA or better condition Flite again.
Cranks - with good 'CODA' logo.
Rear Mech - There is play in the pivots so another M739 soon.

I might replace:..
Brake set: Canti's or V's from '96ish??? IMO these BRM600's are a great match to the f&f and they are excellent mechanically.
Shifters: same applies to the Sachs Wavey - these equal stress free shifting for my thumbs and they make the handle bars look uncluttered.
Barends: Nice minty condition 'XYZ' or 'CODA' barends in black are tempting..
Forks: P-Bones for Pepperoni's ?

Any info, ideas or offers for bits ^^ is welcomed :cool:

Anyway enough waffle, more pics...

The eagle eyed amongst you might of noticed that it has had a fresh paint job and new decals.
This is because it had a little accident at a local anti bike theft event. The 'accident' involved unsteady fingers holding a stencil and some permanent ink :facepalm: :

I didn't expect this extra stage to be incorporated into the build but I feel that it has turned out for the best- as you can probably imagine! It was all very amicable and a great example of people being genuine and honourable. The organisation involved accepted liability and coughed up for a full respray and decals..
After a fair bit of research I chose Graphic shack near Bristol to do the spray work and Gil_m on here to do the decals. The quality of work,as you can see is excellent. Specifically:

While I had the chance I weighed the frame: 1.44kg/ 3.1lb :shock: light!

Thanks to :

Benbonty for the P- Bones.
24pouces for the handlebar.
My LBS for the chainset, random bits and for dropping what they were doing when I came running in as if to A&E :) , to the workshop with the indelible ink damage done to the frame.
You lot & my LBS for advice.
My girlfriend for coping with me since the first M900 was stolen. :D

That is lovely. This was the sort of bike I always wanted, but could not afford at the time!

Regards

Carl

Rad bike. I think some bar ends would really complete it, though. They looked cool on the bike when it was set up as you got it.

Thanks fellas :)

@Dorek: Yeah it does look good with barends-I stuck some on there to get it more rideable and, if to be ridden for any real distance, need to get a pair on there now really. I am on the look out for some black CODA or XYZ barends in good clean condition for that job.

Latest posts

Back