1988 Yeti FRO

One of the things I wanted to accomplish was to keep the spirit of the bike. I told the painter to keep the paint exactly as it had been intended to be. I have included the original photos for reference. I found it unique, I hadn't seen any bikes with a round top tube and the dart scheme to compare against on the net. Rather than paint this frame and fork a single color to be more "correct", I made the decision to have the painter paint exactly as it had been for the last 20+ years.

Please see the below...very interesting. I took very close pictures to document the dart pattern. Hi-res available upon request.

Nader -- sorry to partially hijack the thread. I believe I have provided all that I can as a point of reference on this bike.

I have not heard back from the person that I bought this from (and do not expect to as it was several years ago), but I will certainly let everyone know if he writes back and shares the birth story of this frame.

Attachments

• 88 Custom Yeti 1.jpg
    88 Custom Yeti 1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 553
  • Custom Yeti 2.jpg
    Custom Yeti 2.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 553
  • Custom Yeti 3.jpg
    Custom Yeti 3.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 553
  • Custom yeti 4.jpg
    Custom yeti 4.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 553
  • Custom Yeti 5.jpg
    Custom Yeti 5.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 553
  • Custom Yeti 7.jpg
    Custom Yeti 7.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 553
  • Custom Yeti 8.jpg
    Custom Yeti 8.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 553
  • Custom Yeti 6.jpg
    Custom Yeti 6.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 553
PS -- Can anyone identify the stem? Is it a Nitto?

The parts group that appeared to be original to the bike was M730 to M734 (mostly M730/2), thumbshifters were Shimano 200gs 7 speed. There are no markings on the headset. Levers were standard fare Dia-Compe. The neon yellow taperlite and accutrax seem to be original to the frame as well. The seatpost was a black avenir that had been cutdown significantly. Black ferrules came with the frame. From this information, I would put the bike between 1989-1992.

Will never know if parts were replaced as they were worn out, or if old parts were put on a newer frame, unless the racer emails back and wants to publically recount his glory years.

If you went by the granny seat, comfort gel pad, and tire pump this bike was almost definitely purchased at Walmart sometime in 2006 ;).

mkozaczek":osas1lnd said:
Anyone notice something funny about the darts on this frame?
depends from which side you look on it. In addition, a unique Yeti also needs unique characteristics like unique darts :LOL:

from top looks everything normal :mrgreen:
yetifro23.jpg

Retro Spud":2ju3msm0 said:
Nader no one who takes as much time as you in getting the perfect shot would make do with such a humble offering in the camera department.
Its been well documented else where on your various build threads (even by some of your harshest critics) that we all think you've a great tallent and eye for a taking a sublime picture.... but come on
Nike, I really do not invest a lot of time for pictures. No expensive SLR camera needed for good pictures but good idea and good eyes.

Do you think I should try this colour scheme? :mrgreen:

file.php

could well imagine but for red I have no idea ...seriously I think this Yeti needs just pure 730 XT group. ;)

@spwal thanks for your infos :D

spwal":3qejim10 said:
PS -- Can anyone identify the stem? Is it a Nitto?
yes this is a Nitto stem (I got also one)

merlin03.jpg

But für this Yeti is a 1" ATAC quill stem with the cable noodle from Canada on the way. ;)

Nader":1j2rcoaj said:
yes this is a Nitto stem (I got also one)
merlin03.jpg
For being more precise, it's a nitto made stem called Cannondale 285 stem. It's quite the same as a ritchey force quill stem, but it was made for Cannondale for the SM omega or the SM2000. ;)
An ATAC stem fits better on a Yeti. I agree. So, you should sale me your Nitto :LOL:

Why a stem with a roller cable hanger for a bike with a front suspension ?

:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back