Pace RC35 tidbits

zonoskar

Retro Guru
I have, what I believe to be, a Pace RC35 MXCD with a crack in the carbon on one of the lower legs. So I scoured the fleabay to find another pair with good legs. I finally found one, I even won the auction and when the forks arrived, they were not the same! Bummer. At first glance the new fork (advertised as Pace RC35 MXCD) looks identical. But on closer inspection I found the crown to be 1cm narrower, the travel a bit shorter, the dropouts in the legs are symmetrical, and the innerlegs 1 cm shorter. On my fork, the drop outs are asymmetrical, so the dropout is not in the middle of the leg, but more to the inside. So if I mix-and-match the legs, I get a hub spacing of 105mm. Hmm. So what do I have, or was the ebay ad wrong?

I could use the fleabay one, but that one doesn't have the damper and coil springs in it. And one of the legs is also damaged a bit, but not structurally a problem, whereas the crack on my RC35's leg is (grease is getting through from the inside).

I can post pictures if needed :)

My fork:
2013_04_25_19_51_53_ProShot_sm.jpg

Fork from ebay (I'll make better pictures when needed):
fork.JPG

The EBay fork is I believe a pace mxc. Which was a shorter travel and lighter fork intended for xc racing.
Also,these had a narrower crown ;)

That's was what I was thinking too. I'm a bit bummed because now I have to look for another MXCD to fix mine as I cannot use the fork legs from the MXC. At least I got the longer steerer tube with the one from ebay. How much would such a leg run, new from Pace? I believe they still have them in stock.

Better off talking to Tim surely.

Tim aka Justbackdated on here has most of the pace spares inventory and the knowledge to go with it. PM him. Tim is ex-pace and now runs his own fork service/repair shop.

Back