1997 mount vision suspension removal help needed

ewanm77

MacRetro Rider
im trying to get the rear shock off ive got the rear bolt out and the two front allen headed ones but i cant get the front of the shock free any ideas?

From memory you have to gently tap something through.

These are getting old now so sometimes bits fur up.

ewanm77":3f27uzp1 said:
got it off and changed just to find out the new shock is too long

Ahh mate I had a world of trouble getting mine apart and didn't succeed as well as you...shock length (as I'm sure you now know) should be 165mm eye to eye...

east jobs are always the hardest
the shock i bought was ment to be a 165mm after some time and swearing i got it all on and the rear of the shock touches the seat tube unless its wound all the way back then it only hits when you lift the bike think its a 170mm.Time for another shock dont care what kind as long as its cheap and works got to mot the car next month so cash is a bit tight

ewanm77":2by6swe0 said:
east jobs are always the hardest
the shock i bought was ment to be a 165mm after some time and swearing i got it all on and the rear of the shock touches the seat tube unless its wound all the way back then it only hits when you lift the bike think its a 170mm.Time for another shock dont care what kind as long as its cheap and works got to mot the car next month so cash is a bit tight

well I have the original shock still stuck to the rear swing arm!! You are welcome to it for the price of the postage...probably about a tenner although good luck with freeing it I started to saw through the axle!

Doug

ewanm77":2bjbd8z2 said:
has that nasty double ended bolt seazed?

yup and despite a lot of mm shifting one way and another and some penetrating oil it would not shift! So I decided the hacksaw was the way forward...about 2 thirds of the way through I noticed cracks in the rear swingarm and gave up!

if you can find out how much it is to post ill take if off your hands. its all thats holding me back from riding it wanting to give the new pedals and brakes a try and ive broke my newer bike so missing out on the good weather

ewanm77":3cphyq2h said:
if you can find out how much it is to post ill take if off your hands. its all thats holding me back from riding it wanting to give the new pedals and brakes a try and ive broke my newer bike so missing out on the good weather

Well as I say the shock is still attached to the swing arm! So I recon that £10 would cover it...

Back