Ugly San Andreas

Chute55uk":3hpwgcog said:
this is the catalogue from 97 with one which looks like it has boxxers fitted and another with usd forks.

97 DHS was sold as frame or frameset w. Hannebrink fork. 96 same but w. Mr. Dirt PBF fork.

The bike shop said they are too busy for my service until weekend or next week. I can't wait to get out on it and see what it rides like.

Then I can decide what I'm going to do with it.

I agree it looks quite cool. I would ride it and see how you get on with it then decide if it suits your needs, wether you absolutely must have it retro or move it on.

Totoro":1o10yp5f said:
zetecmk2":1o10yp5f said:
how we love a san an!!! nice!!

I think I may feel a project coming along :facepalm:

I've seen some nice examples on the web

EDIT: So what about the parts then, am I going to have to Google everything or is somebody going to tell me what I can get away with keeping and what is junk?

Wash. Flite saddle. Get it dirty again

Why do you say it's ugly? It looks fine to me. I wouldn't change anything, just get the gears to work and you're away.

I call it ugly because as soon as I saw it at the shop I rushed home to Google it, there are some stunning examples (which don't look like mine).
Besides it is ugly next to my hardtail.

I am looking forward to getting out on it but I can't help thinking that this bike could be some hassle. Some parts look like they could be quite hard to find if something goes wrong, I also need to stop the cables from eating anymore frame.

If there wasn't such a thing as cable rub there wouldn't be 100's of listing on ebay for frame protector kits ranging from carbon finish to Sponge Bob Squarepants!

+1 for quite happily riding it as it is; well, if I were fitter! :oops:

secret_squirrel":8f9j2ps3 said:
Must admit I'm not impressed with your LBS - what kinda shop won't even fit in a service on a bike they've just sold?
+1.

No self-respecting mechanic would hand a bike over to the new owner before he made sure everything works properly.

Looks like a nice bike, although he speclist made me raise an eyebrow more than once. There's a lot of unknown parts in there.
A good cleaning, some new cables and a proper tune-up, and it should be good to go. Or at least good enough for a proper test drive so you can assess the state of the forks, shock and bushings.

Welcome, by the way.

Latest posts

Back