Old racer project

Dan_RS

Retro Newbie
Hi guys,
Just registered on this forum. Im a total bike newb, however got a little project road bike.
It looks very classic (to me) and seems much higher quality than any cheapie mountain bike i previously owned.
I got the bike from a scrap yard, looked like it had sat in a river for 20 years.
Anyway, been cleaning it up and replacing bits and bobs.
Replaced the crank bearings, cups, bottom bracket, chain and inner tubes. Fitted some bar tape aswell. I stipped the horrid rusty/brown paint off it (what was left of it) and painted it smooth black, just to get it usuable really, will do a nicer job of the paint later on.

I am wondering what the bike is and how much it is worth (if anything)???
Would love to know the make of the frame.
My friend said the hubs are good ones, is this correct?

I have attached some pictures of the bike.

Any information on the bike would be great and any ideas to make it look nice/go better would also be great!

Thanks

Dan.

Attachments

• DSC00669.JPG
    DSC00669.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC00672.JPG
    DSC00672.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC00673.JPG
    DSC00673.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 429
  • DSC00671.JPG
    DSC00671.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 429
Dan_RS":3siu92as said:
Replaced the crank bearings, cups, bottom bracket, chain and inner tubes. Fitted some bar tape aswell.

Dan.

Can't be too much of a newb if you knew how to do all of this...

At any rate the hubs are nice indeed, look to be 60s Campagnolo Record. The frame does appear to be quite old based on a few details, in order to identify show some pics of the lugs and bottom bracket. Also look for a serial number. Unfortunately most of these bikes never get a proper ID.

Steven

lewisfoto":2o0xjsf8 said:
Dan_RS":2o0xjsf8 said:
Replaced the crank bearings, cups, bottom bracket, chain and inner tubes. Fitted some bar tape aswell.

Dan.

Can't be too much of a newb if you knew how to do all of this...

At any rate the hubs are nice indeed, look to be 60s Campagnolo Record. The frame does appear to be quite old based on a few details, in order to identify show some pics of the lugs and bottom bracket. Also look for a serial number. Unfortunately most of these bikes never get a proper ID.

Steven

Hi Steven , thanks for the quick reply! Im quite a practicle guy, Im into motorcycles, but love these classic road bikes. Good news about the hubs! Ill get some better pictures up of the bike.
Thanks very much.

Just took some more pictures, these ones are closer up. Sorry if they're bad quality.
Found some numbers on the bottom of the crank hub, will write them down later.

Attachments

• DSC00677.JPG
    DSC00677.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC00678.JPG
    DSC00678.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC00680.JPG
    DSC00680.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC00683.JPG
    DSC00683.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 413
  • DSC00687.JPG
    DSC00687.JPG
    36.1 KB · Views: 413
Looks like the Campagnolo hubs were a random upgrade. This frame is a tourist/commuter model based on some fittings and brazed on bits like the kick stand mount. Someone tried to turn it into a racer removing the fenders and chain guard and adding the wheels and drop bars. Still a number of the regular users here have vast knowledge of British bikes so you may get your ID

The plate kickstand, flat rear brake mount and other frame bits make it look like a 70's Puch or other lowish end imported / continental frame. English frames generally had a round rear brake bridge and no attachment for a kick stand....

Shaun

Back