Dave Lloyd 753 ???

sorry i am late to the party. dam fine find that. 753 you don't see much of and fillet 753 is really nice. Reynolds used to make you submit a test joint for them to destructively test before they would sell you a tube set. so very few builders got that status specifically for fillet brazing. Oh and nice Mavic headset on there too which are very tidy as they don't come undone and mine needed a bit of grease after 18years but will probably out last me.

There were some dave lloyd decals on ebay recently and you will find 753 decals too (or i have one if you need). Good lcuk with the rebuild. you do understand you gonna have to take pictures at every stage for us! possible BOTM entry?

NeilM":8jq9gpn4 said:
sinnerman":8jq9gpn4 said:
You have lost me completely Neil... :| Please explain Im lost.

Sorry Carl. What I meant was that you only have to look at Dave's frames and you see features, like through tube cable routing, which are only now becoming common place on mtbs. Also, look at Ringo's CATS, then look at my Yates 853, and you will see a similar style of bike, only the Lloyd was produced twelve years before my Yates. As far as I can see, he was a long way ahead of the market and perhaps he was just too far ahead.

As for the comparison with Fuquay, my comparison is flimsy at best, and is based on the riding experience of only three bikes, but all three are fast, fleet of foot and quite aggressive, something I like but possibly not what everyone wants. Lets face it, there are a lot more DOGS BOLX out there than CATS and Fuquays combined, so clearly Chas was producing what more people wanted at the time.

There could be a host of reasons why Dave Lloyd and Greg Fuquay stopped producing mtb's (none of which are any of my business), but it could just be that what they wanted to build was not what people at the time wanted to buy... no matter how good they were (and in my opinion, they are / were very good).

Ah I see, sorry I wasn't on your train of thought.

Greg Fuquay got married and returned home around 2000, and took a New direction. And given the timing and how the direction the trade was taking I was never massively surprised.

Dave Retired, (there are many reasons Trade related, but I shant comment on that, little benefit to digging up old wounds, and I personally have far too much respect for him to do so.)

Dave was a National Road Champion before a frame builder, road bikes, low profiles, etc etc used internal cable routing hence this style, and one thing many reviews criticiszed him for, given split cables were becoming the favourite for maintenance etc etc. This was at a time when the devil was in the detail remember, few were doing internal, ala Klein Etc.

Fuquay built for Serotta before coming here, and for me the similarities, clearances/style etc are more than evident.

Ive tried with a modicum of success, comparisons, but in truth it only works if each bike is built to a very similar spec, and of the same model year, builder to builder, and at the same price point and frame size. Only then, could I genuinely make an unbiased evaluation.

Example being... Chas Roberts 1992 D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X, 1992 Dave Lloyd C.A.T.S W.H.I.S.K.A.S----- both pace suspended XT period spec, etc etc etc.

sinnerman":2zradw0q said:
Example being... Chas Roberts 1992 D.O.G.S B.O.L.O.X, 1992 Dave Lloyd C.A.T.S W.H.I.S.K.A.S----- both pace suspended XT period spec, etc etc etc.

I have just done a very cursory comparison, which I have posted in the British Steel thread.

NeilM":3btkxa8y said:
sinnerman":3btkxa8y said:

I have just done a very cursory comparison, which I have posted in the British Steel thread.

Cool :cool: I shall have a read.

Wow indeed... How did I miss this!

Take the time to get it restored - you wont regret it! ;)

NeilM":vga9w2wu said:
What you have there could well be a CATS WISKAS (Cycle All Terrain System With Integrated Suspension Keeping Alignment Static), based on the seat stays.

Take a look at the bottom bracket shell and you will find the frame number, which should start LL.

Ringo has just got his hands on a 94 model and I have just finished spending far too much money on a 92.

Take look in the British Steel thread for a lot more detail, but Dave was certificated by Reynolds to use 753, so there is every reason to think yours is an original.

Whoever sold you that for £70 did you a big favour, and as far as my limited research goes, you have a very rare frame there, which, incidentally, rides like a flat out, banzai, nutter b'stard of a bike :twisted:

Get some pictures up in the British Steel thread please, 'the boys' would love to see another discovery.

Just saw the bit about the chain stays. I have just had both stays replaced on my CATS, as they were both rusted and cracked. If you don't fancy the expense, I'm sure there are members who will quite happily donate a kidney to own that bike.
a bit of paint stripping revieled this :D

Attachments

• lloyd numbers 006.JPG
    lloyd numbers 006.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 245
COOL!

Looks like you have both the frame number, and quite possibly the postcode of the original owner (as the punch depth and typeface look the same to me).

No doubt about it; 1990.

If you're not feeling any love for the frame and forks, just add me to the queue of interested nerds... erm enthusiasts. ;)

NeilM":3p1rwt8j said:
COOL!

Looks like you have both the frame number, and quite possibly the postcode of the original owner (as the punch depth and typeface look the same to me).

No doubt about it; 1990.

If you're not feeling any love for the frame and forks, just add me to the queue of interested nerds... erm enthusiasts. ;)
it is indeed a post code and relates to an adress somewere near blackpool, any team riders in that area at the time of this build ? would be a bonus indeed :D que of nerds ? now wot would make you think theres a que ? im sure there are more interesting bikes out there that people would like to have in their flock :LOL: :LOL: ;)

painter09":90okz3li said:
im sure there are more interesting bikes out there that people would like to have in their flock :LOL: :LOL: ;)
Not to that select group of Super Nerds there isn't. :mrgreen:

It's a great find, whatever you decide to do with it, and it is extremely lucky that your mate knew you wanted some XT bits and Magura brakes, otherwise, goodness knows what would have happened to it.

I'm not sure Dave Lloyd ever had any sponsored mtb riders; he was based just south of Liverpool, so not a million miles from Blackpool, and given his reputation with road bikes and frames I'm sure anyone local looking for a hand made mtb would have gone straight to him.

Back