Wanted: Classic Road Racer style bike in or near Leicester

Annoying Twit

Dirt Disciple
Looking for 22-23" frame. Would like to try it out first.

The other day I met a cyclist who was riding a 531 framed and forked Claud Butler road racing bike which was impressively light even though it had mudguards and carrier. He had paid £150 for it, and if I found something similar I'd buy it in a shot. I'm prepared to go down to a lower spec bike, e.g. 18-23 tubing if the components don't make the bike too heavy, though lower spec would mean less ££££s.

Bit frustrated as I seem to be having difficulty finding a bike even though there seem to be plenty available, always in the wrong part of the country or the wrong size. But I did let this one go by bidding on something else that finished later: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181167558272? ... 1438.l2649 I see things like: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=263646 or this viewtopic.php?f=47&t=260645 So, I don't think I have incredibly unrealistic expectations, but so far, I'm still looking :(

Anything out there?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re: Wanted: Classic Road Racer style bike in or near Leicest

Hi,

I recently purchased a Raleigh Rapide 531 on a whim. Once I got it home realised it had quite few non original parts. so far purchased:-

Brakes
handle bars
block
Chainset spider (thread stripped on original)
rear wheel

Still non original - seat, pedals and headset. Its a 23.5" frame.

I posted up some photos when I got it and it is the same model as the one with the extensive build history. So far cost me £225.

Just purchased another more complete Rapide so planning to get this one as close as original as possible and sell it. Or break it and sell.

I'm at Broughton Astley.

Ian

I bought an original kelloggs pro tour for £50. the bargains are out there you just need to be in a position to travel or arrange a courier. gumtree can be good but beware of the nicked ones and cash converters sometimes are good because usually they dont have a clue what they are selling. the one near me had a basso with dura ace for £180 last year :shock:
other than that car boots are usually a good source and of course on here :cool:

Thanks WP and Chute. I'm keeping my eyes out, and I can see many bargains. But, I don't seem to see the bargain in the right place at the right time with the right frame size. I think I'm going quiet again. My brother is a very serious age-group cycle racer, and he is definitely saying to just race on my single speed commuter and worry about another bike later in the year. But that just gives me more time to keep an eye out.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back